Quantcast

Do Vouchers Earn Points?

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

OlympianHiawatha

Conductor
Amtrak rewarded me with a $250 Travel Voucher for a broken connection on an AGR Rewards trip :) When I use that Voucher will it earn Points, especially since it was given for an AGR Redemption trip?

Shanghai

Conductor
I only have had one voucher and I did not receive points for that trip.

I phoned AGR and was told the reason I did not get points was that the trip

was paid for by an Amtrak voucher.

the_traveler

Conductor
I think the "rule" is that if is is a voucher for compensation (bad trip, bustitution, etc) you are not supposed to earn points, but if the voucher is for an unused ticket you will get points. However I have received points for compensation vouchers! (Maybe Amtrak knows who I am!
"Don't mess with the_traveler!"
)

the_traveler

Conductor
Is there a reason why we don't earn points in this situation?
I think the reasoning is that if it's a "refund" voucher, it's your money that you paid for the ticket with. If it's a "compensation" voucher, it's was never "money"! (It's like I paid for the trip with "Monopoly Money" - should I earn AGR points for paying with that?
)

AlanB

Conductor
Honored Member
I think the reasoning is that if it's a "refund" voucher, it's your money that you paid for the ticket with. If it's a "compensation" voucher, it's was never "money"! (It's like I paid for the trip with "Monopoly Money" - should I earn AGR points for paying with that?
)
If it's a refund voucher, that means you never took the trip and therefore never earned points.

If it's a compensation voucher, then you did take the trip and you already earned points for the money you spent.

That said, if you paid anything towards the trip where you used a compensation voucher, then you should at least earn points on what you paid. I'm not sure if that's actually the case, but that is how it should be.

Bigval109

OBS Chief
)
If the monopoly money was green you should earn points :lol: