Do Vouchers Earn Points?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OlympianHiawatha

Engineer
Amtrak rewarded me with a $250 Travel Voucher for a broken connection on an AGR Rewards trip :) When I use that Voucher will it earn Points, especially since it was given for an AGR Redemption trip?

I only have had one voucher and I did not receive points for that trip.

I phoned AGR and was told the reason I did not get points was that the trip

was paid for by an Amtrak voucher.

Amtrak rewarded me with a $250 Travel Voucher for a broken connection on an AGR Rewards trip :) When I use that Voucher will it earn Points, especially since it was given for an AGR Redemption trip?
Generally no. There may be special exceptions that I am not aware of.

I think the "rule" is that if is is a voucher for compensation (bad trip, bustitution, etc) you are not supposed to earn points, but if the voucher is for an unused ticket you will get points. However I have received points for compensation vouchers! (Maybe Amtrak knows who I am!
laugh.gif
"Don't mess with the_traveler!"
mosking.gif
)

Is there a reason why we don't earn points in this situation?
I think the reasoning is that if it's a "refund" voucher, it's your money that you paid for the ticket with. If it's a "compensation" voucher, it's was never "money"! (It's like I paid for the trip with "Monopoly Money" - should I earn AGR points for paying with that?
huh.gif
)
If it's a refund voucher, that means you never took the trip and therefore never earned points.

If it's a compensation voucher, then you did take the trip and you already earned points for the money you spent.

That said, if you paid anything towards the trip where you used a compensation voucher, then you should at least earn points on what you paid. I'm not sure if that's actually the case, but that is how it should be.

Is there a reason why we don't earn points in this situation?
I think the reasoning is that if it's a "refund" voucher, it's your money that you paid for the ticket with. If it's a "compensation" voucher, it's was never "money"! (It's like I paid for the trip with "Monopoly Money" - should I earn AGR points for paying with that?
huh.gif
)
If the monopoly money was green you should earn points :lol:

Back