Do we know when the new new Acela trainsets are going to be in full service

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

Good evening from the U.K.
We are hoping to be in New York Dec 22-24 (having sailed across the Atlantic on the Queen Mary 2, from Southampton, England) - Covid restrictions allowing, of course.
We are booked to go first class on the Acela from NYC to Providence on Dec 24.
Is there any more information on when the new Acela train sets are going to be in full service?
I'll be interested in your responses
Thank you

The current official guidance is still late 2021 for the new Acela trainsets. I expect that will slip into early 2022.
Good morning Rebel Rider,

I figured as such.

After I had posted this thread, I did a search on the web and came across this report from the Philadelphia Inquirer from June 2020 ( In crisis, Amtrak works to get new high-speed trains operating in 2021 ) in which Caroline Decker, Amtrak's vice president for the Northeast Corridor, said (quote) “The expectation now…is to have the first trains enter service in late spring or early summer next year with nine of the 28 train sets operating by fall 2021. That, however, is dependent not only upon the manufacturer completing the train sets but also successful completion of rigorous testing and training."

Given everything that has been happening in the last year plus the normal "timescale slippages" that occur within in most large projects...I think you're right about this all not happening until 2022.

Ah well...looks like we'll miss the opportunity to travel on the new trainsets this time.

We've used the Acela service a number of times over the years. The first class passenger car is really comfortable and the pre-Covid service was exceptional.

I have read many comments on here and other sites that complain about the lack of genuine speed that the Acela can achieve compared to some European high-speed trains. That is true, but the level of comfort and service in Acela is miles better than most first class services available on UK trains.

Good morning @west point 😁 , as @JontyMort has just stated, it's the Queen Mary 2 :D (and sorry @JontyMort that your crossing on the QM2 won't be happening in September).

My husband has many relatives both in New York and in Rhode Island - so it's become something of a small tradition, once every 2 years, to visit them by using the cheapest cabins on the "posh ferry" (as we call the QM2😁;)) to head over to NYC and then to take the Acela to Providence, R.I.,

JontyMort

Train Attendant
Good morning @west point 😁 , as @JontyMort has just stated, it's the Queen Mary 2 :D (and sorry @JontyMort that your crossing on the QM2 won't be happening in September).

My husband has many relatives both in New York and in Rhode Island - so it's become something of a small tradition, once every 2 years, to visit them by using the cheapest cabins on the "posh ferry" (as we call the QM2😁;)) to head over to NYC and then to take the Acela to Providence, R.I.,
That sounds lovely. We’ve never done the QM2 bit, so it was a real shame when Cunard cancelled the September crossing - booked in June 2019. Our crossing was part of a longer trip to New York, New England, Prince Edward Island, California Zephyr. However, apart from the ship, I’m hoping it can all happen. Originally scheduled for 2020. Why not wait till next year? I’m due a sabbatical from work, and have to squeeze it in before retirement.

QM2 fares are remarkably reasonable. Two people can cross one way for under $3,000 - bearing in mind that includes in effect seven nights in a luxury hotel with all food. Admittedly, the bar bill would increase that <cough> somewhat.

caravanman

Conductor
I was very surprised and pleased to obtain a solo cabin for the crossing from Southampton to New York on the QM2, back in 2014, for just £850, and included the return flight.
I wanted to stay in America for some time, and was able to put the flight on hold for several months, at no extra charge.

A write up of my trip, and 10 weeks travelling by train and hire car can be found here:

Southampton... "all aboard"...