Do we know when the new new Acela trainsets are going to be in full service

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Good evening from the U.K.
We are hoping to be in New York Dec 22-24 (having sailed across the Atlantic on the Queen Mary 2, from Southampton, England) - Covid restrictions allowing, of course.
We are booked to go first class on the Acela from NYC to Providence on Dec 24.
Is there any more information on when the new Acela train sets are going to be in full service?
I'll be interested in your responses
Thank you

The current official guidance is still late 2021 for the new Acela trainsets. I expect that will slip into early 2022.

Good morning Rebel Rider,

I figured as such.

After I had posted this thread, I did a search on the web and came across this report from the Philadelphia Inquirer from June 2020 ( In crisis, Amtrak works to get new high-speed trains operating in 2021 ) in which Caroline Decker, Amtrak's vice president for the Northeast Corridor, said (quote) “The expectation now…is to have the first trains enter service in late spring or early summer next year with nine of the 28 train sets operating by fall 2021. That, however, is dependent not only upon the manufacturer completing the train sets but also successful completion of rigorous testing and training."

Given everything that has been happening in the last year plus the normal "timescale slippages" that occur within in most large projects...I think you're right about this all not happening until 2022.

Ah well...looks like we'll miss the opportunity to travel on the new trainsets this time.

We've used the Acela service a number of times over the years. The first class passenger car is really comfortable and the pre-Covid service was exceptional.

I have read many comments on here and other sites that complain about the lack of genuine speed that the Acela can achieve compared to some European high-speed trains. That is true, but the level of comfort and service in Acela is miles better than most first class services available on UK trains.

Good morning @west point 😁 , as @JontyMort has just stated, it's the Queen Mary 2 :D (and sorry @JontyMort that your crossing on the QM2 won't be happening in September).

My husband has many relatives both in New York and in Rhode Island - so it's become something of a small tradition, once every 2 years, to visit them by using the cheapest cabins on the "posh ferry" (as we call the QM2😁;)) to head over to NYC and then to take the Acela to Providence, R.I.,

Good morning @west point 😁 , as @JontyMort has just stated, it's the Queen Mary 2 :D (and sorry @JontyMort that your crossing on the QM2 won't be happening in September).

My husband has many relatives both in New York and in Rhode Island - so it's become something of a small tradition, once every 2 years, to visit them by using the cheapest cabins on the "posh ferry" (as we call the QM2😁;)) to head over to NYC and then to take the Acela to Providence, R.I.,

That sounds lovely. We’ve never done the QM2 bit, so it was a real shame when Cunard cancelled the September crossing - booked in June 2019. Our crossing was part of a longer trip to New York, New England, Prince Edward Island, California Zephyr. However, apart from the ship, I’m hoping it can all happen. Originally scheduled for 2020. Why not wait till next year? I’m due a sabbatical from work, and have to squeeze it in before retirement.

QM2 fares are remarkably reasonable. Two people can cross one way for under $3,000 - bearing in mind that includes in effect seven nights in a luxury hotel with all food. Admittedly, the bar bill would increase that <cough> somewhat.

I was very surprised and pleased to obtain a solo cabin for the crossing from Southampton to New York on the QM2, back in 2014, for just £850, and included the return flight.
I wanted to stay in America for some time, and was able to put the flight on hold for several months, at no extra charge.

A write up of my trip, and 10 weeks travelling by train and hire car can be found here:

Southampton... "all aboard"...

Amtrak is being very quiet about this.

Couple questions:
Any more imformation regarding revenue service introduction?
Given that the new trainsets are slightly faster around curves and in general, does anyone know just how much time will be shaved off BOS-NYP and NYP-WAS segments, if at all?

Projected date is still between March and May 2022, but of course it could slip what with COVID and rickety electrification infrastructure to be fixed up and complied with.

The electrification infrastructure is a real problem. Rickety is a great definition. These new Acela-2s probably need a much better voltage and current steady presentations. The PRR style CAT with its 180 nominal spacing may leave too much sag. That sag may not be completely solved with the newer PAN airfoils. I can remember see GG-1s arc continuously but they did not have fancy electronics. Just had a nice iron core transformer with tap changing qualities.

The Acela-2s proposed max speed is 160 MPH tested to at least 176. The 12 Kv NEC CAT south of NYP may be too low voltage along with the PRR CAT. It will be interesting how the -2s did on the 25 Kv east of New Haven? Anyone know if any Alstom HSR equipment operate at these high speeds on voltages at 12 Kv or lower?

If Amtrak solves all the break in problems it may only wait 2 -4 weeks advance notice that -2 service will begin.

I just noticed that Amtrak beginning in late Jan has added an additional Acela frequency in Boston at 5:05am. This raises the number of Acelas leaving Boston from 6 to 7 daily.

Did this train run before Covid? I never remember seeing it on the schedule

Projected date is still between March and May 2022, but of course it could slip what with COVID and rickety electrification infrastructure to be fixed up and complied with.

I'm hearing service introduction is increasingly unlikely to start in the first half of CY2022.

I know the Acela II's will run at 160 MPH but I assume that is for the Providence/Boston stretch where the current Acela's reach 150 MPH. They max out at 135 MPH south of NYC. Will the Acela II's run 135 as well or get the same 10 MPH bump to 145 or even go even faster than that between Trenton and New Brunswick in NJ?

This is probably a repetitive question on this forum, but does anyone have a good idea of when the new Acela trains will start service? I just booked a first-class trip for August and I'm hoping they'll be running by then. The Amtrak agent I talked to said "by the end of the year," but we know how delayed this thing has been.

It may be that until Amtrak and the builder can resolve all issues of the AX-2s then service cannot start until as well the FRA signs off as revenue worthy.

For what it’s worth, I read his statement of “revenue worthy” as another way of stating “safe.”
That makes sense.

Here is a one year old article which describes what the holdup is - mainly catenary - panto interface issues. Reading it one gets the impression that they passed the FRA tests at Pueblo with flying colors, but the NEC infrastructure provides many additional challenges that are being addressed.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/transportation/2021/06/03/amtrak-acela-new-trains/
Back then they said Spring 2022, simulataneously with "a one year delay" stated in June 2021. This would place the then expected date anywhere between March and June 2022. So far we have not heard anything and Spring 2022 is almost upon us. And then there was the Covid factor slowing everything down too. So we shall see.

That makes sense.

Here is a one year old article which describes what the holdup is - mainly catenary - panto interface issues. Reading it one gets the impression that they passed the FRA tests at Pueblo with flying colors, but the NEC infrastructure provides many additional challenges that are being addressed.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/transportation/2021/06/03/amtrak-acela-new-trains/
Back then they said Spring 2022, simulataneously with "a one year delay" stated in June 2021. This would place the then expected date anywhere between March and June 2022. So far we have not heard anything and Spring 2022 is almost upon us. And then there was the Covid factor slowing everything down too. So we shall see.
You know, we didn't hear anything about when the midwest Venture cars would be introduced after the rollout was delayed because of the lead contamination issue. Then, all of a sudden, it seems they were introduced in a soft rollout on one Chicago-St. Louis train. Perhaps something similar will happen with the new Acelas. Who knows, maybe on my March 2 or March 7 Acela rides, I'll be treated to the new equipment. :) well, unlikely, but we can always dream.

There may be a slight difference between getting plumbing fixed and getting an FRA certification to operate at 160mph in commercial service. The Acelas still have to get over that hurdle.

But of course anything could happen.

Back