Do you earn points for a reservation if you don't cancel but fail to show up?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rs9

Lead Service Attendant
I had a $20 E-voucher from before the pandemic. I (cleverly? not cleverly?) tried to evade its 12/31/21 expiration by purchasing a $20 ticket (value fare) on an Illinois corridor train (I live in Chicago). I had (and have) no intent of actually taking this trip but was hoping I could modify the ticket when I was ready to actually travel somewhere.

It turns out I cannot modify the ticket, and if I cancel the trip I lose the money. That's not the end of the world. My question is, if I leave the ticket booked and the train departs without me on it, will I earn guest reward points for the trip?

Has anyone ever asked this bizarre question before 🤔 ?

The answer is that if everything goes correctly you won't because your ticket won't be lifted. You only earn points on lifted tickets.

However, if the Conductor on that trip for some reason does a bulk lift of the tickets, then you will.

I have earned point on two unused segments on the Silvers so far, not because that is what is supposed to happen but because things happened to work out that way.

Back