Do you ever get asked for your AAA card if using the discount?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Silver Star rider

Service Attendant
Now I have been using the AAA fare discount for my yearly trips to Orlando and back since 2005. I have never been asked for my card checking in at NYP or ORL, or onboard the train either.

Tonight, I switched my departing train from the Star to the Meteor (are you listening Penny? Need to pick me up at my resort now by noon).

Of course they go over luggage, cancelation, and other policies. One of the things he mentioned, make sure I have my AAA card for verification. I do carry it with my anyway, but I was never asked for it.

Did anyone ever get asked for it if using the discount??

Bruce-SSR (sometimes SMR)

I never have yet over several years. Of course you are required to punch in the number when making your Res using the AAA Discount.
Yes, and it even shows the discount on the E-ticket that you need to show the conductor. I guess the conductors don't mind, not told to do this, or just don't care.

Bruce-SSR

I was asked when checking into the La Quinta Manhattan where the AAA was very good (for Manhattan). If I hadn't have produced it, I would have been charged the rack rate, which was about $25/night higher.

That was the only time I was ever asked. Never at another hotel, never on Amtrak.

Last edited by a moderator:
NYP is my home station. If I book a reservation and use a certificate where i am required to visit the counter, they do ask me for my AAA card.

I have been asked to show an ID once on a train. I have been asked to produce my AAA card a few times, but not many.

Sure, Bruce I will pick you up at your resort since I love driving on I-4. NOT!!!!!!!!

I have been asked to show an ID once on a train. I have been asked to produce my AAA card a few times, but not many.

Sure, Bruce I will pick you up at your resort since I love driving on I-4. NOT!!!!!!!!
:p .... that is all I got to say. I am looking into alternate transportation. The company I used to use went out of business last year.

Bruce-SSR

The one and only time I've been asked to show my AAA card was from the ticket agent at the Fresno station. I was checking bags to San Francisco, not picking up my tickets. He apparently wanted to print off a copy of my eTicket to put in the ticket sleeve along with the claim check for my bags.

I told him not to worry about printing my tickets and that I would just show the conductor the eTicket on my iPhone. He insisted on still seeing my AAA card and threatened to cancel my reservation if I didn't produce it. Of course, I didn't have my AAA card on me (I keep my wallet very thin and leave my AAA card at home) so I offered to show him the electronic card on my phone. He said that wasn't valid... but would still print my ticket. (For the record this power hungry ticket agent is full of **it, Amtrak does accept the electronic AAA card.)

Also for the record, the one time I've used my AAA card for roadside assistance the tow truck driver didn't ask to see my AAA card.

The conductor made an announcement over the intercom couple months ago on the Surfliner saying that their scanning device randomly chooses tickets to have the ID and discount eligibility checked and not to take it personally. I guess its like the dreaded "S" boarding passes when flying. The computer randomly chooses people to check. So far, I have not been asked to show either one by the conductor. Ticket agents have asked for ID but no AAA card.

Showing the required card (AAA, NARP, AARP, etc) seems to be hit or miss - mostly miss - on Amtrak, and most other places, like hotels, museums, etc. etc.

Best to have it handy, though, if questioned. Less than 1 in 10 in my experience.

There is no standard or rule for all these discounts - even for us senile (I mean senior -- or "honored" citizens).

The Amtrak policy for actually requiring to show the (easily forged) AARP or student, whatever, discount card is just like anywhere else --

-- if gatekeeper is bored, or got a recent notice from on high, "you must show card" - otherwise, who cares. --

Diverging -- most airline rules for active duty military have changed and changed again. 6 years ago an active-duty card would get you at least 2 free bags. Then, some airlines, sometimes, wanted to see your "orders" (but, no gate agent knew what "orders" were). Now, active-duty military get free bags "if in uniform" - (still get pre-cleared passage thru security, regardless of uniform). NAVY people are annoyed - why? Because Navy can't wear their slops or BDU or aquiflage or blueberries off-base. Forbidden. Only blue or white dress allowed off-base. While all the other services can wear their pointilist cgi camo anywhere - and what gate agent knows navy dress whites?

Grump grump grump. I'm not NAVY, but my kid is, got the card, all that, but the airline gate dragons want the $25 per bag. Maybe in whites, might recognize that as "uniform" -- actually saw an ET1 in whites at Phoenix - probably tryiing to save baggage fees. Grump grump.

At least active military get their priority on AMTRAK without getting hit for extra fees if they happen to be NAVY.

When picking up my Amtrak tickets at the Kansas City station, they ALWAYS ask to see my AAA card. I've been asked in hotels as well.

Before going on a trip, I also thin out my wallet and keys. But I do take my AAA card, just in case. Now with E-tickets, they just scan the code, I don't even think they notice the AAA discount code.

Like one person posted, maybe the scanner does kick back a request to see the AAA card after scanning the code? Since a AAA card is not scanable, I wonder if the conductor may just press, acknowledge and go on to the next person?

Bruce-SSR

I think whether you show various IDs depends on how honest you look.

It happens once every ten or fifteen times I use an AAA discount.

It's very hit or miss for me for my AAA card. However on the AT the always ask for photo ID from all adults because it is ticketless check in.

In the "old days" before E-tickets, we were occasionally asked for our AAA card when picking up tickets we had ordered online. But since E ticketing, we generally don't have any contact with desk agents to get tickets. Since AAA discounts only applied with three day notices, you could not buy a ticket at the station using that discount anyway.

And of course, now that we are "senior citizens" that discount is better than AAA anyway :)

In the "old days" before E-tickets, we were occasionally asked for our AAA card when picking up tickets we had ordered online. But since E ticketing, we generally don't have any contact with desk agents to get tickets. Since AAA discounts only applied with three day notices, you could not buy a ticket at the station using that discount anyway.

And of course, now that we are "senior citizens" that discount is better than AAA anyway :)
Why not? Some people still like dealing with people instead of machines, and many people live near stations. I could easily buy a ticket three days before the departure at a station. I have in fact done that. I'd originally bought a ticket, cancelled it at a ticket counter, got an eVoucher on the spot, then bought another ticket with a AAA discount. I don't remember if I was asked for the card.

I was only asked once to produce my AAA card. This was at the Fullerton station by another power hungry station attendant. He would not even then issue the tickets until the second passenger (my wife) presented her ID.

Why not? Some people still like dealing with people instead of machines, and many people live near stations. I could easily buy a ticket three days before the departure at a station. I have in fact done that. I'd originally bought a ticket, cancelled it at a ticket counter, got an eVoucher on the spot, then bought another ticket with a AAA discount. I don't remember if I was asked for the card.
I like dealing with people, but in our case it is 70 miles to the nearest Amtrak station and we do not have that luxury. As stated, before E ticketing, we did pick up our tickets at the CLE station on the day we departed and bought some there as well for future trips. We usually did produce our AAA card so they could put the number in the computer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back