Does a "special route" award include connecting thruway buses?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BCL

Engineer
Thinking of taking a trip with the family down to Southern California. I don't mind driving, but my wife doesn't particularly like to drive, and switching drivers could be extremely helpful with fatigue. The other issue is that we have a young child who wants to be carried every once in a while and that's hard to do when kids are required to be secured in a child seat.

So we're thinking of maybe taking the San Joaquin down to at least Bakersfield. I though maybe about renting a car in Bakersfield, but then I noticed there's connecting service to Los Angeles (and one really late bus to Anaheim). If we could do that, it would be a real bargain if 1500 points could get us a complete ride to LA Union Station or even Anaheim.

You may also want to consider riding the Coast Starlight#11 from the Bay Area since Special Routes in Coach and Bus will be 1,500 Points for EACH Person and you have to Change Twice to get from the Bay Area to South of LAX! For 15,000 Points you would get a Roomette which includes (from Emeryville) 3 Meals, use of the Pacific Parlor Car and Great Mountain and Coastal Scenery as opposed to the Desert like Valley South of SAC!! You would have to ride an AM Bus from LAX-Anaheim but its a Short trip and the Connection is @ Union Station! Much more Comfortable and lots better Amenities! ;)

You may also want to consider riding the Coast Starlight#11 from the Bay Area since Special Routes in Coach and Bus will be 1,500 Points for EACH Person and you have to Change Twice to get from the Bay Area to South of LAX! For 15,000 Points you would get a Roomette which includes (from Emeryville) 3 Meals, use of the Pacific Parlor Car and Great Mountain and Coastal Scenery as opposed to the Desert like Valley South of SAC!! You would have to ride an AM Bus from LAX-Anaheim but its a Short trip and the Connection is @ Union Station! Much more Comfortable and lots better Amenities! ;)
While nice, wouldn't that still be quite a few more points (4,500 vs. 15,000)?

Last edited by a moderator:
While nice, wouldn't that still be quite a few more points (4,500 vs. 15,000)?
I wouldn't want a roomette anyways since it would be completely during the day and early evening. Being able to consume my own booze would be nice though.

I'd also rent a car at my final destination. I can't figure out Southern California without a car.

The other thing was that I was hoping not to use points for my kid. I understand that an AGR operator can accept payment for a child fare alone as long as it's booked with adult award travel.

Back