Does Amtrak serve breakfast all day

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bingozone

Train Attendant
I know this is a weird question but can I get breakfast from the dining car for lunch and dinner

Again - no. They gear up for a specific breakfast, lunch, or dinner menu at each sitting.

However, anything on the cafe menu can be served at any time. However, the breakfast items are the cheapest and tend to go quickly. When I took the Coast Starlight from Seattle, they didn't have breakfast service in the dining car. I had lunch in the dining car and went to the cafe for dinner. The cafe attendant indicated that they were completely out of breakfast items, and it was about 6 PM. They weren't going to pick up anything until arriving in Oakland the next day (scheduled 8:35 AM).

(A) No.

(B) Boy, that's a good idea, they should, they'd make money.

Would an "all-day menu" in the dining car help matters financially? Probably. It could probably be arranged, too.

(A) No.

(B) It would probably be popular. But "It would be popular" is not the same as "they'd make money."

Tom
I suspect that breakfast is a loss-leader. I also kind of miss when breakfast was all-inclusive, including milk, juice, coffee, and/or tea. I remember getting my kid the child-sized scrambled eggs for $3.50, including milk and juice. It's still on the menu, but now it would be $3.50 plus maybe $2 for milk and another $2 for juice.

When I took the CS last time, in the morning before getting into Emeryville, I went to the dining car for breakfast. All four of us seated at the table ordered scrambled eggs and coffee. I suppose we were all equally cheapskates.

Breakfast, like all meals, is included for sleeper passengers, including juice plus a beverage such as coffee or tea, and breakfast meats.

It never was included for coach passengers.
I understand that. However, meals paid for separately for coach passengers used to include beverages. It was quite a deal, especially at the kids' meal price.

The reason breakfast-all-day would probably be profitable:

(1) fast turnover

(2) quick prep

(3) cheap ingredients

An all-day menu in general would probably simplify things if it could be arranged in the kitchen.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back