Does Anoyone Here Collect Model Trains?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

tp49

Engineer
I know this is really an Amtrak discussion board, but I was wondering if anyone here collected model trains. I have always wanted to but my interest only lies with passenger trains (Amtrak, Commuter, Rapid Transit). I wanted to know what types of passenger cars you have and where you can get Amtrak, LIRR, NYC Subway or any good passenger cars as I am thinking about starting a collection.

I collect some particularly HO scale. For one thing what scale do you want. Walthers makes several nice HO scale amtraks.

I'm thinking HO scale right now. Currently space is a concern but in two years I should be buying a house with more space to set everything up so I am looking at accumulating some now.

Click Here for walthers website, you can search for whatever you're looking for in not just walthers but various other model train companies.

Right now I have a 4' by 8' layout with a 2' by 4' holding yard off to the side. I did not spend to much for scenery. I put this German grass product which is grass just glued to paper and comes rolled up in long sheets. Then all you have to do is put it onto a board with some of that spray glue. Over that I layed some Atals Snap Track which is regular HO track fiitted into a plastic roadbed. For roads and parking lots I used some black (or gray) poster board. I have a few buildings whcih include a Amtrak Station (resembles Richmond, VA), HOJO Resteurant, Citi-Bank, Shell Gas Station (painted myself from Walthers kit, I'll never do that again), Exxon Gas Station, Burger King, and a locomtive matainence facility. For trains I have a complete Acela Express from Bachmann, Sivler Star, Capitol Limited, and a MBTA commuter train. One thing I learned from my modeling experiences is do not try to be perfect, it takes time, and most importantly A MODEL RAILROAD IS NEVER COMPLETE!!! Well that's my two cents worth. :)

Thanks guys for your help.

Amfleet: Your two cents were both valueable and greatly appreciated. B)

Also if you live in the Northeast you might want to consider going to the Big Railroad Hobby Show. This thing is huge. Three whole buildings filled with trains, trains, and trains. Amtrak swung by last year along with the NARP. You can find that linkhere. If your not in the Northeast then check your local hobby shop as local model railroad clubs will often have open houses an smaller tran shows. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back