Does the Crescent stop in Mobile, Alabama?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I will be attending a convention in Mobile, Alabama in 2021, and would like very much to take The Crescent. Please let me know.

Unfortunately not. Several years ago the Crescent used to split in Birmingham and travel to Mobile - it was called the Gulf Breeze.

If you are willing to rent a car, you can get within a 2 hour drive of mobile. Hattiesburg or Slidell could both be options.. not sure which is easier to get a car at.

There is a thruway bus from New Orleans and Jackson to Mobile, but no connections are available to the Crescent. If you are coming from somewhere in the Northeast, you could go via Chicago and the CONO to connect to the bus.

The buses are operated by Greyhound, but not all Greyhound buses are shown on the Amtrak website. Going southbound, the Crescent actually arrives 2 1/2 hours before the last bus to Mobile leaves, but that is apparently too close for Amtrak to guarantee. You could try that but would need a backup plan in case the bus is missed (likely either a rental car or hotel and bus the next morning).

Going north, there is a relatively safe connection from Greyhound to Amtrak at Tuscaloosa, but they stop at different locations and the tickets would need to be booked separately.

driving times depend on I-10 congestion. Took this poster one time 4 hours from I-10 / I-12 intersection to downtown. Often better to take I-12 to the causeway even though longer. BTW to avoid New Orleans I-12 much shorter.

Back