Does VIA provide hotels when Canadian is delayed 12 hours at origin?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
VIA, at least in the fairly recent past, had trains with sleepers without included meal service, that was Sleeper Class. The off season Ocean used to be that way, and the Churchill train. Sleeper Plus (indeed, "plus meals") differentiated that.

Pretty sure the Ocean is Sleeper Plus year round now, not sure about Churchill, too lazy to look it up.

VIA, at least in the fairly recent past, had trains with sleepers without included meal service, that was Sleeper Class. The off season Ocean used to be that way, and the Churchill train. Sleeper Plus (indeed, "plus meals") differentiated that.

Pretty sure the Ocean is Sleeper Plus year round now, not sure about Churchill, too lazy to look it up.
I believe to recall that “Sleeper” (i.e. without meals) was an option on the Ocean due to limited seating capacity in the dining car, but for at least the last 3 years, all Sleeper tickets are “Sleeper Plus” and thus with meals are included.

This is enlightening. I did not know that in the relatively recent past VIA sold sleeper space that (optionally) did not include meals.

If the (sleeper) price reduction was significant, I think I'd actually prefer that as I typically only eat two meals per day -- an early lunch (brunch?) and dinner. I could choose to pay for those meals or bring my own food on board to eat in my sleeping compartment or perhaps a lounge car.

Back