Door stuck open

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

iPat09

Train Attendant
Currently on northbound CoNo 58. Sometime in the last few hours, the door at the end of the hall has become stuck open, and the inside of the car has become real humid and sticky. Is there anything that can be done about this? Or is this something that can't be fixed until the end of the line.

There is a switch that can be flipped. Should have a red cover on it. Also talk to the crew about this. You'll get better results from them then us. Especially at this hour of the night.

I'll see if I can find anyone. Taking a quick look a it, it looks like it tries to close, but gets caught on the floor. Took a walk down to the SSL, and it is absolutely freezing compared to our sleeper.

Presumably there is a conductor somewhere you can hopefully track down. Other than that I'm not sure who A150 thinks you're supposed to be talking to.

Finally found the conductor. Asked if there was anything that could be done. He said it's broken and there is nothing to fix it. There is so much noise and humidity coming in, it's a wonder anyone can sleep through it, but apparently I'm the only one who can't. The curse of being hot natured strikes again.

Please call Customer Relations when you get home. Things do happen to the run to death equipment but having to suffer while riding in your Sleeper is unacceptable.

Also you are supposed to be able to open and close tgese doors by hand if something happens to the automatic system. The SCA or Conductors should have been able to handle this!

You should get a good will voucher good for future travel on Amtrak, and an apology for this.

Hopefully the crack Chicago maintence crew will fix this problem before this car is sent out again on a LD Train!

Last edited by a moderator:
If the operator mechanism fails, you can manually override and open, that is a safety requirement, but if the mechanism sticks open because of an electrical, mechanical or even something jammed in the works, it may have to be dismantled to be fixed or cleared. Stuck open may make the car miserable, but it won't prevent an evacuation which would take it out of service.

I eventually took a shower around 4 in the morning. When I was finished, the door was fixed and was not an issue the rest of the trip. Only during a few hours in the middle of the night. Hopefully that particular conductor wasn't lying to me or just being lazy.

Slightly off topic, but what did you think of the food service experiment on 58?

Edit:disregard. I see you posted in the July 1st service change thread.

The way the cars get jerked around on that route a simply jolt in the right direction may be all it took to dislodge or Pop back in what was causing it to stick.

Please call Customer Relations when you get home. ... You should get a good will voucher good for future travel on Amtrak, and an apology for this.
come on Jim .. this might be something to report, but to demand or expect a travel voucher ? come on .....

Also you are supposed to be able to open and close tgese doors by hand if something happens to the automatic system. The SCA or Conductors should have been able to handle this!

There is a mechanism inside the door that gets hung up. To access it, you'd need tools and the "know how" since you'd have to take the entire door panel assembly apart. As previously mentioned, the door must be able to open for a car to make the trip. If it can't close, they will look toward the weather, availability of a replacement and the duration of the trip to help make a decision on shopping the car or sending it out.

Please call Customer Relations when you get home. ... You should get a good will voucher good for future travel on Amtrak, and an apology for this.
come on Jim .. this might be something to report, but to demand or expect a travel voucher ? come on .....
You are correct sir! Mea culpa!

Thirdrail: thanks for the mechanical info, its evident I'm not a technician!

Hopefully the maybe in our lifetimes Superliner IIIs will have an improved door system that's not so hard to fix when things go bad out on the rails??

Sometimes old ways are still the best ways, ie the manual doors in the Heritage Cars!

Sometimes old ways are still the best ways, ie the manual doors in the Heritage Cars!
Or maybe not. Those toe kick actuators are handy when hanging on for dear life with both hands going through Sun Kink County on the way to Lurchville! :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back