Downeaster Allowed 79mph

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Amfleet

Engineer
WASHINGTON - Amtrak hailed today's unanimous decision by the Surface Transportation Board (STB) authorizing maximum train speeds of 79 mph on sections of track used by the Downeaster.  Since its introduction on December 15, 2001, the Downeaster has operated at a slower speed - 60 mph - while the STB considered authorizing 79 mph. The STB decision may result in reduced travel time between Portland and Boston.
Full news release here.

Of course we haven't seen Guilford's reaction to this yet. I suspect that they will still drag their feet in cooperating with Amtrak. Wouldn't even be surprised to find frieght trains suddenly in Amtrak's way.

AlanB said:
Of course we haven't seen Guilford's reaction to this yet.  I suspect that they will still drag their feet in cooperating with Amtrak.  Wouldn't even be surprised to find frieght trains suddenly in Amtrak's way.
No matter how many times the various government bodies have ruled in favor of higher speeds, the Finks of Guilford continue to throw new obstacles in the way of the higher speeds. Not only would freight trains not surprise me, but outright sabotage causing a terrible accident would be horrible but believable, as this father and son team sink to new lows to be very ungracious hosts.

And now keep in mind that if Amtrak is allowed to raise its speeds, we won't see any improvements until the next timetable change, which most likely would be in April (unless a special one comes out at another time), because they still have to depart each station at the times advertised in the current timetable.

Mr. Fink, would you like cheese with that WHINE?

Superliner Diner said:
[No matter how many times the various government bodies have ruled in favor of higher speeds, the Finks of Guilford continue to throw new obstacles in the way of the higher speeds. Not only would freight trains not surprise me, but outright sabotage causing a terrible accident would be horrible but believable, as this father and son team sink to new lows to be very ungracious hosts.

That is some pretty strong wording there. I know that this company has made it difficult to operate Amtrak trains. However, I cant see them sabotaging something and causing a derailment. That would also hurt there own operations.

Steve4031 said:
Superliner Diner said:
[No matter how many times the various government bodies have ruled in favor of higher speeds, the Finks of Guilford continue to throw new obstacles in the way of the higher speeds.  Not only would freight trains not surprise me, but outright sabotage causing a terrible accident would be horrible but believable, as this father and son team sink to new lows to be very ungracious hosts.

That is some pretty strong wording there. I know that this company has made it difficult to operate Amtrak trains. However, I cant see them sabotaging something and causing a derailment. That would also hurt there own operations.
Well, while I don't really think that they would sink that low and take the chance of playing with peoples lives, there are actually places where they could still sabotage the Downeaster train without hurting their own operations. The Downeaster doesn't travel on Guilford tracks for it's entire journey, although it is on their tracks for the bulk of the journey.

On the other hand, as I first alluded to, I can believe that they will set signals to approach or danger to slow the trains down. I can also see them putting slow moving freights in front of the Downeaster to cause problems, or forgetting to throw a switch forcing a delay in service.

The Fink's have never accepted the FRA's ordering them to allow Amtrak access. This despite the fact that Guilford got all new tracks out of this deal. They would be perfectly happy to accept the new track and never allow Amtrak to run on the tracks paid for with Federal and the State of Maine's money.

Part of their hatred of Amtrak stems from Guilford's having lost the MBTA contracts to Amtrak. So the Fink's would love to not only see Amtrak off of their property, they'd love to see Amtrak fold.

I see your point, Alan. They sound like losers too me.

I meant no disrespect earlier, I was worried that strong wording might be harmful to the guy who posted it. Thats all.

Steve4031 said:
I see your point, Alan. They sound like losers too me.
I meant no disrespect earlier, I was worried that strong wording might be harmful to the guy who posted it. Thats all.
I kind of doubt that the Fink's would even be reading our humble board, however even if they were he's entitled to his opinion. Besides the Fink's have been called far worse in the press, let alone on a BB.

Just a follow up note to this story.

It's no big surprise, but Guilford has filled an appeal of the STB's decision. There is a small note on this in NARP's Hotline from February 21st. You can read it by clicking here. Scroll down to the next to last story on the page.

Some people just can't play well with others. :angry: After 10 years of fighting, you'd think that they would have learned their lesson. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back