Downeaster discussion

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It seems absurd that NH would raise a fuss about this, given how many Mainers load up on alcohol at the NH state store on I-95 before heading home from points south -- and also considering that NH has historically contributed nothing to the train's operation. Ah well, as we used to say in Maine, freeload or die.
I also buy stuff at the NH liquor stores when I'm heading up to Maine, but that's mainly because they have a good selection. I don't find the prices to be all that much higher than stuff in Maine. Actually, liquor prices in Baltimore, at least at my local Total Wine are cheaper than either.

The whole idea of banning sales on a train moving thru the state sounds ridiculous to me.
Its not like people in NH will board the train just to buy a drink, and take away business from local establishments.
The next thing you know, they’ll try to ban sales aboard airliners flying over the state…🙄
It seems obvious that a lower-level bureaucrat made the initial decision and somebody at the top quickly made a few phone calls when the story went viral.

The Downeaster has been a huge success for 20+ years and New Hampshire has benefited from the service without contributing. NNERPA felt Dover, UNH and Exeter were vital to the the success of the line.

I also buy stuff at the NH liquor stores when I'm heading up to Maine, but that's mainly because they have a good selection. I don't find the prices to be all that much higher than stuff in Maine. Actually, liquor prices in Baltimore, at least at my local Total Wine are cheaper than either.
Although retail liquor sales in Maine are through private stores, the wholesaling is controlled by the state Bureau of Alcoholic Beverages and Lottery Operations which also sets prices, so that may be why Maine is more expensive than outlets in other states.

What some folks seem not to realize is that the legislation that created Amtrak did not exempt them from many state alcohol rules, and those restrictions on sales on various trains have been discussed here previously. Not the same as a plane overflying a state. But it is worth mentioning that the Downeaster is not an Amtrak train per se, it is a train of a Regional Authority that is branded and operated by Amtrak with the major exception of it's food service.

I'm sure New Hampshire is well within its rights legally. Even so, it seems a bit petty on some level given that the train only traverses the state for about 30-35 miles on a 135-mile run, and in the scheme of NH liquor sales the amounts involved here are probably tiny. To me it's more galling, though typical of NH, that the state has never contributed to the train's operation but still wants to get a cut of revenue from its onboard sales.

I agree.
Since the state has apparently rescinded the short-lived restriction, its just a moot point now, but if I was Amtrak, and the restriction was implemented, I would retaliate by threatening to eliminate the stops in NH, to hopefully create grass-roots pressure by NH passengers to rescind the restriction. Especially since NH does not contribute its fair share…

I agree.
Since the state has apparently rescinded the short-lived restriction, its just a moot point now, but if I was Amtrak, and the restriction was implemented, I would retaliate by threatening to eliminate the stops in NH, to hopefully create grass-roots pressure by NH passengers to rescind the restriction. Especially since NH does not contribute its fair share…
I think that kind of decision would be up to NNEPRA, not Amtrak, and I'm guessing they would not want to escalate. Last I knew, Exeter and Dover where the busiest stations after Boston and Portland, so they'd be risking a lot of ticket revenue. Plus even though the state has done little to support the service, the individual NH towns on the route provided and maintain the stations, so those towns would be justifiably upset, even if their own state government started the fight.

New Hampshire is a funny state. Despite the pleas from many sources not to "drink and drive", the first thing you see on some roads going inhto the state is a state-owned liquor peddling booze and lottery tickest. "Tax Free or Die'

As long as I can get a Whoopie Pie whatever state we’re in, I’m fine.😁

Did the Downeaster have lobster bisque or clam chowder at one point? I don’t see it on the menu now, but seem to recall it being there a few years ago.
The last time I rode the Downeaster( Pre- Pandemic) they had the Clam Chowder, but haven't seen Lobster Bisque on the Menu during my trips to Maine????

The microwave popcorn is interesting. Amtrak used to sell it years ago and stopped. I was told it was because the microwave would be out of service if the popcorn was not popped correctly or some other weird explanation. I will be eating the hot salted pretzel when I ride in April.

The comments about abiding by local liquor laws reminds me of the ultimate absurdity, When flying from Atlanta to Los Angeles in the early 1960's, all aisle beverage carts with liquor aboard had to be removed from the aisle, stowed and locked before we crossed above the Oklahoma state line while flying at 35,000 feet. They miraculously reappeared the instant we crossed into Colorado, still at 35,000 feet. Oh, the shame of it all. We were deprived of our favorite adult beverage for almost an hour. So, we frequent flyers bought two bourbons before entering OK airspace, and simply made do. :rolleyes:

Interesting article in today's Boston Globe about an 84 year old gentleman who has travelled on every single Amtrak train, and was ending his journey on the Downeaster. Behind a Globe paywall, but they might let you in.

https://www.bostonglobe.com/2023/07/21/metro/amtrak-downeaster/
Headline below:
At 84, he’d traveled the entire Amtrak map — except Boston to Brunswick. It was time to finish.
On Friday, Nat Read rode the Amtrak 681 Downeaster train from North Station to Brunswick, Maine, completing his 21,400-mile journey over decades.

Back