Downeaster Joy Ride

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

chrsjrcj

OBS Chief
I'll be taking Amtrak to Boston in two weeks, and I figured I want to spend a day riding (more :giggle: ) trains. I first considered taking one of the commuter trains (probably the line to Rockport and back), but then remembered the Downeaster. I would take #683 arriving Portland at 2:05 pm, then take #686 leaving Portland at 2:35 pm (I'm assuming it's the same trainset). I've been to Maine before (via airlane), so the main purpose would be checking out the scenery along the Downeaster route.

Any thoughts on spending a few hours on the T vs. a day on the Downeaster?

Last edited by a moderator:
Spend the $9 and upgrade to business. Old Orchard Beach is a nice little beach town and the stop is less than two blocks from the ocean. I just took a day trip there and had enjoyed the train and the beach.

Keep in mind that business class often sells out on certain trains. If you are going with someone, board the train as soon as possible to get a pair of seats. In my experience (1 trip), BC filled up in BON and there were more than 6 pairs.

I'm with the Downeaster in Biz Class Chorus! It's the way to roll! Remember that you have to get to North Station from BBY or BOS, Light Rail is the cheapest way,Taxi the easiest if you havent been there before!

Last edited by a moderator:
The Downeaster is a cool ride and the business class upgrade is a good bargain. However the service has had a number of cancellations and delays in the past several months for track work so be aware to check for service alerts and delays,

Considering you only goal is to ride the train, you could also take the Lake Shore Limited from BOS to Worcester and then take a commuter rail back to BOS.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back