Downeaster receives $16.8 million

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DSS&A

Lead Service Attendant
It was just announced that NNEPRA will receive $16.8 million for track and station improvements as well as add a sixth roundtrip. The Wells siding will be rehabbed and extended from its current 2 miles to be 8 miles long. The Wells station will receive a new second platform on the sidingbamd a pedestrian overpass to connect the new platform to the existing station facility.

https://www.pressherald.com/2020/02...N-ATqw963QZjPUJ98GIT1IoP3xWKRYEg2gTkmMq0P_4h4

I think the 6th round trip will be a Brunswick-Wells-Brunswick turn for commuters heading to Portland. Not another train to Boston--which they need.

I looked at the current train schedule and there is currently no evening commuter train scheduled to return, Freeport and Brunswick commuters back home.

Without buying an additional train, an evening return commuter schedule for Freeport and Brunswick commuters could be added with a small schedule adjustment. If Train #683 is changed to leave Boston 30 minutes earlier at 12:35pm, it would arrive Brunswick at 3:55pm.

This train could make a short Brunswick - Portland - Brunswick round trip before departing south to Boston as Train #688. This quick trip could be as follows allowing 20 minutes for a combined schedule padding and turning around the train.

Depart Brunswick 4:15pm and arrive Portland 5:00pm. Depart Portland 5:20pm and arrive Brunswick at 6:05pm.

Train #688 would then operate one hour later departing Brunswick at 6:25pm and arriving at Boston at 9:45pm. Train #689 would still depart Boston at 10:30pm.

Possible Rockland branchline service in the near future:

On August 15, 2019, Amtrak operated an inspection train in coordination with NNEPRA on the Brunswick, ME to Rockland, ME branchline to evaluate the track condition, identify needed infrastructure improvements for passenger train operations.

https://knox.villagesoup.com/p/train-backers-ride-rails-to-rockland/1828630
Rockland was running passenger service a couple of years ago with vintage trains, so the tracks are fine.

I hope Amtrak isn't too picky about track conditions.

Back