Downeaster Trip Mar 2022

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This is a trip from Brunswick ME to Worcester MA to see family via Amtrak and MBTA.

Friday Mar 25 we arrived at Brunswick from Lewiston where we were staying in plenty of time. There is parking at the station for $2 a day. After paying for parking we walked over to the platform. A few minutes later the equipment for train 684 pulled in from the layover facility:
Cab baggage 90220
Cafe/Business class 48140
Amfleet 1 coaches 82767, 82517, 82709
P32 loco 124
After the usual brake test was done we boarded. We had BC tickets which I had gotten using AGR points so this was basically a free trip. We boarded at the middle coach and walked up to the BC section which is in the south end of the first car. Left Brunswick 11 AM on time.

Shortly after getting settled Jamie the cafe attendant fetched us drinks. She was a great attendant always checking on the BC passengers to see if they needed anything. At this point there were only 3 of us in BC and maybe a dozen in coach. We took this opportunity to get an early lunch before things get busy South of Portland. North of Portland we passed train 681 with engine 108 which appeared close to on time.

At Portland we picked up 11 more in BC and a number of coach passengers. Left at 11:48 still on time. We had seats on the left side so a good view of the ocean and marshes south of Portland.

There was no freight interference which helped with us staying in time. Only one freight we passed just South of Rigby Yard. Still on time at Saco and Wells. At Wells and for a few miles south we could see brush clearing and earth work in preparation for extending the second track and adding a second Wells platform.

I noticed in various spurs along the way a number of LPG tank cars. That still seems to be a common product shipped by rail. Also clay slurry which is used by the paper mills which are Pan Am's biggest customers.

We met DE # 683 just before Exeter NH. We lost a couple of minutes here by Haverhill we were about 5 minutes down. Not bad as things go but we had a somewhat tight connection in Boston, due in at North Station at 2:20pm with our Worcester train leaving South Station at 2:50pm.

Coming into Boston I moved to an empty seat on the right hand side to check on progress of the Green Line extension to Medford. It appears to be well along with catenary in place and stations nearing completion still needing signage etc. Arrived in BON at 2:30 10 minutes late. I figured if we took the Orange Line to BBY the Worcester train left there at 2:56 so we might just make it. I had to put money on our Charlie Cards, did that and headed for the OL Forest Hills bound platform. A train came along a few minutes later. I was hoping for one of the new CRRC trains but it was a set of the older Hawker Siddley cars which are really showing their 42 years of age. Pulled in to Back Bay up the escalator and down the stairs to track 5, got to the platform just as the train was pulling in. Glad we made it as next train was not until 4:11. Had to buy tickets on the train which is a $3 surcharge. Got into Worcester on time at 4:21. There is a temporary platform now as there is construction to add a 2nd platform so for now there is a bit of a hike to the impressive station building. Our daughter in law met us at the station and took us to their home. That night we checked out a new Spanish restaurant near them. It was quite good it was our first time having tapas and that is a fun way to try different dishes.

I will post my review of the return trip after Tuesday when we return to Brunswick.

Last edited:
Things just got interesting. There was a parking garage collapse at Haymarket on Saturday. One death reported sadly. As a result all Green and Orange line service to North Station is suspended and they are providing shuttle buses. So we will see what happens tomorrow. We have over a hour planned for our connection so this shouldn't be a problem if all goes well.

Last night we all went out to our favorite Indian restaurant in nearby Shrewsbury. I will probably have yo go on a diet after this trip 😄

So yesterday (Tuesday March 29) we headed out from Worcester on MBTA train 510. Trip was uneventful except for a slight delay at Framingham as they were single tracking through Natick Center due to station construction. Got in to South Station about 15 minutes late but no problem as our Downeaster didn't leave until 11:50.

One thing I have to comment on is many of the newer stations on the MBTA commuter rail are rather drab built mainly of unpainted galvanized steel with signage that is often fading, not something that makes the system attractive to people. Although they did better with a couple of newer stations in Boston proper such as Boston Landing.

Headed for the Red Line to Park street then Green line one stop to Government Center. Once upstairs the shuttle bus was right there and it was a cold windy day so we took the easy way out and rode the bus to North Station where it stopped in a side street just across Causeway Street from the station. I am still struck every time I arrive there how different the area looks since they tore down the Elevated structures.

We had about 40 minutes to wait for our train. I saw the equipment sitting on track 9 so we waited nearby. A good thing since there was no announcement made when boarding began and we only knew to board when people started streaming towards the platform.

We were in BC again so a short walk to the coach. Didn't get a chance to record the equipment but the locomotive was P32 #100 which is painted in a special 50th anniversary scheme. On the trip I noticed a number of railfans getting shots of our train.

Trip was pretty much on time until Saco. We met train 684 North of Exeter and a freight north of Dover. At the siding North of Saco we met 686 then because Pan Am had cars parked on the siding we had to back out once 686 cleared then proceed on the main around the cars. This lost us about 10 minutes. Arrived at Brunswick at 3:15pm not bad. Headed home and went to dinner with my other son at an Italian restaurant in Lewiston that we like.

All in all we agreed that this was a relaxing way to travel down to MA. Sure it takes longer than the 3 hours it usually takes to drive but is a lot more fun than the interstate.

BTW, the T has re-opened the Orange Line (BBY <-> BON.) The rubble from the garage landed right on top of the Green Line tunnel (part of the route from BOS to BON), so they are still evaluating it.
That was probably the most critical line to reopen since the OL's maintenance base is at Wellington and having the southern half of the line cut off for any lengthy time would have been a problem. At least with the GL they have the new facility near Union Square.

Back