Downtown Hub for Amtrak in Atlanta proposed

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
When I lived in Roswell, GA (suburban Atlanta), North Fulton County which includes fairly affluent areas tried to form a separete County from the rest of Fulton County which include the city of Atlanta. It did not happen after an intense and expensive attempt. It would have likely eliminated the limited public transportation that existed in that part of the county. Atlanta includes a lot introverted people who are happy to be in their automobiles even if they are stuck in parking lot traffic. Most of the people did not know that Amtrak came to Atlanta or know where the station was.

A downtown station would be out of the question for Amtrak since I don't think they would agree to a 30+ minute backup move to get in or out of the station. The track which would have allowed it, locally referred to as the "Beltline" was removed and will not be returned. The GDOT had an opportunity to build a station in what as know as the "Atlantic Station" area which would have been convenient for both passengers and Amtrak, but had no interest and ultimately sold the property. Georgia is not a passenger rail friendly state.

I've lived in Georgia (thankfully not Atlanta) all my life and love it, but I'll have to see this to believe it.

With respect, I cannot imagine a happy ending to all this no matter where in downtown Atlanta they might build an Amtrak terminal. Although I was born in Georgia, live in Georgia now and have for a good part of my life, and Amtrak's Brookwood-Peachtree station is the closest Amtrak to my home, I have driven to Anniston AL (ATN) over a hundred times (and NOT once to ATL) to board the Crescent over the last 22 years. Why? driving to Atlanta Amtrak is a "miserable" drive to get to a "miserable" station. Even if Atlanta adopted the notion of building a suburban station on the mainline like Clifford Lane in Jacksonville FL or Staple Mills RD in Richmond VA, they might have to go nearly to the Alabama border line (admittedly an exaggeration) to find an appropriate location. I think I may have drifted a little off the subject of this thread and subject, but just wanted to express an opinion.

We caught the Crescent in Atlanta a few times years ago but then started going to Anniston instead; much better for us although farther away in miles. I don't go to Atlanta for anything if I can avoid it now.

It's rather absurd that a city the size and importance of Atlanta has only one train serving it, but Atlanta can't even get their sewage under control when it rains. People shouldn't hold their breath waiting for Atlanta to do much, and the Georgia legislature isn't interested either. (Otherwise, Atlanta is very different from almost all the rest of Georgia, and not in a good way.)

With respect, I cannot imagine a happy ending to all this no matter where in downtown Atlanta they might build an Amtrak terminal. Although I was born in Georgia, live in Georgia now and have for a good part of my life, and Amtrak's Brookwood-Peachtree station is the closest Amtrak to my home, I have driven to Anniston AL (ATN) over a hundred times (and NOT once to ATL) to board the Crescent over the last 22 years. Why? driving to Atlanta Amtrak is a "miserable" drive to get to a "miserable" station. Even if Atlanta adopted the notion of building a suburban station on the mainline like Clifford Lane in Jacksonville FL or Staple Mills RD in Richmond VA, they might have to go nearly to the Alabama border line (admittedly an exaggeration) to find an appropriate location. I think I may have drifted a little off the subject of this thread and subject, but just wanted to express an opinion.
With all due respect to the developers, this plan for Atlanta is exactly what a large, lively, cosmopolitan city like Atlanta deserves. However, this forum needs to focus on AMTRAK and I would, therefore, reinforce my previous posts on this subject. Until there is more train northbound and southbound a day, it is hard to wrap your head around Amtrak being involved. I will still drive ten miles farther from Columbus to get to Anniston than Columbus to Atlanta to board the the only passenger train choice I have--the Crescent.

It is a Catch 22. Until there is a more capable station in Atlanta there will not be any more trains through Atlanta, so ignoring projects to create such a more capable facility will only delay ones desire to get more than one train through Atlanta.

With all due respect to the developers, this plan for Atlanta is exactly what a large, lively, cosmopolitan city like Atlanta deserves. However, this forum needs to focus on AMTRAK and I would, therefore, reinforce my previous posts on this subject. Until there is more train northbound and southbound a day, it is hard to wrap your head around Amtrak being involved. I will still drive ten miles farther from Columbus to get to Anniston than Columbus to Atlanta to board the the only passenger train choice I have--the Crescent.
The plan does spend some time discussing how the new Amtrak service envisioned in the Connect America plan would fit in. It also considers issues related to Howell Junction which is apparently an issue for the existing Crescent.

It is a Catch 22. Until there is a more capable station in Atlanta there will not be any more trains through Atlanta, so ignoring projects to create such a more capable facility will only delay ones desire to get more than one train through Atlanta.
jis: You do make a good point. I wonder what the route with the most reasonable or desirable possibilities might be?--a second train to New York and southbound like the Southern Railway's Southerner and Crescent (about 12 hours differences in departure times); Atlanta-Chicago; Atlanta-Jacksonville?? Unfortunately for me, at age 75, probably will not be around to see any of that. But never say "never"! It is reminiscent of the wish and rumor during the 33 years I lived in Daytona Beach that there would be an Amtrak operating down to FEC JAX-MIA with all the in between station stops. I looked out my office window (my office was the property on which the old Daytona Beach passenger station was located before being demolished) every single day from 1976 to 1999 to see that. I may be drifting off point but you get my drift. It just has seemed in the last 50+ years that change regarding long distance Amtrak has been difficult.

I sure hope there will be more Amtrak at Atlanta going straight to west to San Antonio, Texas, then to San Diego, California and back to Atlanta instead of stuck for one or two or three days at a hotel waiting for Amtrak. I cancel my plan due to lack Amtrak rides according to my plan. I was so disappointed and my friends were disappointed. I really want to ride Amtrak with a bedroom all the way.
FYI: I am newbie and I never ride Amtrak.

I sure hope there will be more Amtrak at Atlanta going straight to west to San Antonio, Texas, then to San Diego, California and back to Atlanta instead of stuck for one or two or three days at a hotel waiting for Amtrak. I cancel my plan due to lack Amtrak rides according to my plan. I was so disappointed and my friends were disappointed. I really want to ride Amtrak with a bedroom all the way.
FYI: I am newbie and I never ride Amtrak.
The lack of ANY connections at New Orleans without an overnight stay hampers Amtrak's entire network. More trains/day in all directions would fix that.

The lack of ANY connections at New Orleans without an overnight stay hampers Amtrak's entire network. More trains/day in all directions would fix that.
Or at least a hotel room that is book for you by Amtrak. Ideally on the station property, but a shuttle bus will work. For those which to pick there hotel, they can book the train as two different trips. Those getting the Amtrak hotel room will book as a through ticket.

Yes more trains will help this too. Change the arrival times might be a too heavy of a lift.

I sure hope there will be more Amtrak at Atlanta going straight to west to San Antonio, Texas, then to San Diego, California
Well, the direct to San Diego part is never going to happen. The direct line east from San Diego, the former SP subsidiary San Diego & Arizona Eastern/Tijuana & Tecate (the route dropped through Mexico) route has been severed for decades with little prospect of resumption as it has always been a maintenance nightmare.

Any service to San Diego will always be using the former Santa Fe "Surf Line", now owned by Metrolink and NCTD. Likely with no direct long distance service, but a transfer to the Pacific Surfliner corridor service at Los Angeles or Fullerton like today.

Too bad, because I would love to ride over the Goat Canyon Trestle.

Atlanta to Florida as well but I’m not sure if that’s easy route wise.

Maybe Atlanta to Miami via Augusta and Savannah. Once it gets to Savannah you just have it follow the same route as the Silver Star to Miami. Then have the Silver Meteor go down the FEC to Miami after it leaves Jacksonville.

It might add some time but have it go through Athens and build a train station there as well. You want a Georgia - Georgia Tech Gameday train that goes from Athens to Atlanta. Sure. You want a train that will take you from Athens to Jacksonville for the annual Florida/Georgia football game? Sure. You want a train that will take you from Atlanta to Augusta so you can watch the Masters in person? Sure. Here, take this train to Savannah for the weekend and enjoy what the city has to offer. (Sorry for going off topic).

I delibertly avoid downtown ATL now. However I believe that the Centenial park location may not be a location that will allow ease of operationaccess for dome thru trains to / from the north. But know that I am not certain of the exact location of Centenial park???

I delibertly avoid downtown ATL now. However I believe that the Centenial park location may not be a location that will allow ease of operationaccess for dome thru trains to / from the north. But know that I am not certain of the exact location of Centenial park???
The proposed location would require a 30 minute backup move in or out for the Crescent. I don't think they're really interested in that.

Just found out why Ga DOT is so idifferent to any rail. DOT board members represent each congressional district and some at large. Not sure about how at large are appointed? Maybe governor. The congresional districts although have one member each have all members voted state wide. So state wide voted members not looking out for persons in their supposed district but state wde. Almost all at present are automobile only persons.

BTW There is a law suit pending changelling that representing method wanting each district to vote on only its member.

EDIT. For reasons not fully understood North and northeast of downtown has received more than its share of road dollars. Whereas south and SW of downtown has been neglected.

Examples. I-75 & I-85 have many lanes North and same S & SW have fewer lanes and much more congestion. Even metering lanes are sparse south. So Commuter rail is slightly considered north and NE. None even considered South other than Savannah. The city itself neglected by the DOT is well documented. Look at the proposed new passenger station's lack of any plan. Mainly because city leaders appear to be forced to defer to state DOT.

Last edited:
Just found out why Ga DOT is so idifferent to any rail. DOT board members represent each congressional district and some at large. Not sure about how at large are appointed? Maybe governor. The congresional districts although have one member each have all members voted state wide. So state wide voted members not looking out for persons in their supposed district but state wde. Almost all at present are automobile only persons.

BTW There is a law suit pending changelling that representing method wanting each district to vote on only its member.

EDIT. For reasons not fully understood North and northeast of downtown has received more than its share of road dollars. Whereas south and SW of downtown has been neglected.

Examples. I-75 & I-85 have many lanes North and same S & SW have fewer lanes and much more congestion. Even metering lanes are sparse south. So Commuter rail is slightly considered north and NE. None even considered South other than Savannah. The city itself neglected by the DOT is well documented. Look at the proposed new passenger station's lack of any plan. Mainly because city leaders appear to be forced to defer to state DOT.
I believe the state representatives and state senators from each congressional district are who votes for the board member representing their district.

In the Amtrak FY2025 Grant Request Amtrak has an item called "Atlanta Hub" which according to the document will eventually connect Atlanta to various cities and facilitate addition of multiple trains possibly and will need funding of $700 Million from various sources. It has asked for $30 Million this year to enable certain preliminary engineering and acquisition of key properties. which may become unavailable if not acted on expeditiously.

Anyone from Atlanta or with further knowledge about this able shed some light?

"IF" the location noted is at the locations of old Terminal and Union Station that were next to each other. Then at one time a station could be located there. have not been there for some time so any statements made may have been altered by additional construction.

Open railway map will give posters an idea of what is available.
https://www.openrailwaymap.org/
All the parking south of State Farm arena was once the tracks and platforms of Terminal station. Union Station tracks and platforms were parallel to the now Atlanta terminal subdivision (CSX close to milepost 0 of NC&SL RR) from NNE to SSE. The parking deck west of the now track followed that curve so would definitely need demolition and rebuilding. As far as I know all the street passing over the tracks are viaducts.

TRACKS
As stated before a turning loop starting just SW of State Farm Arena and curving to the NE joining to the east Atlanta Terminal subdivision near or at CNN center which is being vacated so probably could be purchased? That loop solves the problem of any Amtrak trains having to back in from Howell CP. Where platform tracks are finally located leave that to others but future platforms need planning especially when commuter rail finally is a big operastion. The loop will naturally entail some unique crossing diamonds of platform tracks.

At Howell trains on NS from Charlotte will need a connection to the CSX line to avoid having to cross CSX which sometimes blocks NS tracks at Howell. It would be best if a terminal dispatching desk is located covering both NS & CSX from CSX Tilford yard, CSX (SAL) Howells, NS Howell, NS Inman yard on the north side. Include NS (SOU) with CSX A&WP/ ACL south of the station and CSX somewhere east of the Station on the GA RR & CS,

The Gulch and Armour Yards are the two sites mentioned. The Gulch is now under construction as Centennial Yards, and partially open. Everyone is talking nice, but the Gulch developer said to hurry up a few years ago. The local Councilperson said either place is fine. The World Cup will play nine matches at the Falcon's football stadium, June 15 - July 15, 2026. (From the news, nothing recent.)

The Gulch location would require a substantial backup move to get either in or out. Armour yard is right on the main line, but not near downtown and not particularly street accessible. There was also discussion of a site in Chamblee north of I-285, as well as a proposal some time back in the Atlantic Station area, but that went nowhere when GDOT had no interest and sold the location.

In the Amtrak FY2025 Grant Request Amtrak has an item called "Atlanta Hub" which according to the document will eventually connect Atlanta to various cities and facilitate addition of multiple trains possibly and will need funding of $700 Million from various sources. It has asked for $30 Million this year to enable certain preliminary engineering and acquisition of key properties. which may become unavailable if not acted on expeditiously.

Anyone from Atlanta or with further knowledge about this able shed some light?
Sounds to me like a lot of money for a location served once a day each way, and maybe used by 50K passengers per year (according to Wikipedia). Even spread over 20 years, that's 700 dollars per passenger over the next 20 years.

Back