Driving in France

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 6862

Engineer
Today we had an appointment in the Dordogne department of France, travelled there from our home in the Allier department (route attached).

Bourbon to Pompadour  Route.png

Although over many years including for business we have travelled very extensively around France we are sometimes startled at what we see here. Today it was driving through Arnac-Pompadour and while idly commenting that this small town has a railway station when the Chateau Pompadour loomed up ahead of us, accompanied by very extensive equestrian parks on the opposite side of the road.

It is a magnificent chateau, it really took us by surprise as a) we didn't know it existed and b) because we have seen quite a few French chateau over the years and even have 2 or 3 minor ones within 10 km of where we live so thought we were a bit Chateau'd out. But what a chateau.

Today the weather was cool but beautiful with blue skies, a good day to make this round trip. We started from our home near to our 'local' small town of Bourbon L'Archembault (the power base and original castle of the Bourbon dynasty of French kings. On a more mundane level every time we pop down to our home supermarket for a baguette we catch sight of this castle and surrounding medieval buildings!

Today we travelled through the upper Auvergne Region of rolling hills, small farms, big oak forests and big rivers, then across the northern end of the Massif Central where a chain of extinct volcanoes starts. Followed by moutains into rural W France. All as a minimum pretty, some very beautiful, France profonde at it's best.
The highland part at this time of year is snow covered which enhances the distinct volcano shapes, then an hour to the west we arrived at Pompadour and had to stop to take it in for a few minutes. We didn't have long as we had a timed appointment further westwards so had to get going quickly..

At last the purpose of writing this post. Some of us need a jolt from time to time to remind us of how lucky we are in life, to have what we have or be where we want to be... today reminded us of why we settled in France.

A quick shot of part of the chateau.
s76867a.jpg

Last edited:
Today we had an appointment in the Dordogne department of France, travelled there from our home in the Allier department (route attached).

View attachment 27920

Although over many years including for business we have travelled very extensively around France we are sometimes startled at what we see there. Today it was driving through Arnac-Pompadour and while idly commenting that this small town has a railway station when the Chateau Pompadour loomed up ahead of us, accompanied by very extensive equestrian parks on the opposite side of ther road.

It is a magnificent chateau, it really took us by surprise as a) we didn't know it existed and b) because we have seen quite a few French chateau over the years and even have 2 or 3 minor ones within 10 km of where we live so thought we were a bit Chateau'd out. But what a chateau.

Today the weather was cool but beautiful with blue skies, a good day to make this round trip. We started from our home near to our 'local' small town of Bourbon L'Archembault (the power base and original castle of the Bourbon dynasty of French kings. On a more mundane level every time we pop down to our home supermarket for a baguette we catch sight of this castle and surrounding medieval buildings!

Today we travelled through the upper Auvergne Region of rolling hills, small farms, big oak forests and big rivers, then across the northern end of the Massif Central where a chain of extinct volcanoes starts, then across the moutains to rural W France. All as a minimum pretty, some very beautiful, France profonde at it's best.
The highland part at this time of year is snow covered which enhances the distinct volcano shapes, then an hour to the west we arrived at Pompadour and had to stop to take it in for a few minutes. We didn't have long as we had a timed appointment further westwards so had to get going after a few minutes.

At last the purpose of writing this post. Some of us need a jolt from time to time to remind us of how lucky we are in life, to have what we have or be where we want to be... today reminded us why we settled in France.

A quick shot of part of the chateau.
View attachment 27921
Thanks to you again for your interesting travels.
I couldn’t help but look up some history of Arnac-Pompadour. It’s a national stud farm. And has history in the area going back to before King Richard the lionheart Who attacked there 1182. A lot of history about Jeanne Antoinette Poisson who Louis XV gave the title
Marquise de Pompadour. The horses and the racecourse are a big attraction today.

Ah, so there WAS a chateau and land that went with the title. I guess that was the usual: by giving the favorite some land revenues, that took a lot of pressure off the royal budget, LOL.

Every time I go to work outside on our land, I take a deep breath and feel how lucky I am to have the opportunity to live here. Today's outside chores involve cleaning up after winter damage. We have quite a few broken branches that fell out of the trees dues to heavy snow and wind. Not as picturesque as a chateau, but it'll do for now! I envy your drive through the beautiful French spring countryside.

Ah, so there WAS a chateau and land that went with the title. I guess that was the usual: by giving the favorite some land revenues, that took a lot of pressure off the royal budget, LOL.

Every time I go to work outside on our land, I take a deep breath and feel how lucky I am to have the opportunity to live here. Today's outside chores involve cleaning up after winter damage. We have quite a few broken branches that fell out of the trees dues to heavy snow and wind. Not as picturesque as a chateau, but it'll do for now! I envy your drive through the beautiful French spring countryside.

You are so right Jennifer, the reason for the post was "sometimes we need reminding"

Back