Early boarding in Metropolitan Lounge

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Shotgun7

Service Attendant
In two days, I'll be headed up to Chicago to catch train 355, a Hiawatha, to Milwaukee to connect with the Empire Builder to East Glacier (Yes, I realize the stupidity... but I'm sure you all can relate to the fact that I wanted to ride more than just one train).

My question is, since I have a roomette on the EB, can I still use the Metropolitan Lounge in Chicago? I'm sure they'll let me in, but I'm really wandering if they'll let me board early or if I can at least hear the regular boarding announcements.

They should let you in since you have a same day sleeping car ticket on the Empire Builder. They just might look at you weird if you want to catch 355 before hand, but as a rail fan, I understand why. :)

Yes they do normally make announcements for the Hiawatha trains inside the Metro Lounge. Just in case, I'd head out to the platform anyway about 10 or 15 minutes before departure. They won't board anyone separately for the Hiawatha's.

Have fun in Glacier Park. I love that place!

I just rode up and back from Chicago to Milwaukee yesterday and had come in on the CONO in a sleeper before heading further north.. So, I had access to the lounge and when it was time to board the train to Milwaukee, they showed me the door and said, "stand in line with everyone else." I found it would have been better to get to the north boarding area early, rather than from the lounge as I would have gotten on the train faster if I hadn't have been in the lounge.

Also, consider the quiet car, on the train. I was the only passenger in that car for a while. Like my own private car.

Coming back from Milwaukee yesterday on the 3:00 train we found the east bound EB arriving just as we were ready to also head south to Chicago. The EB left and we left 2 minutes later and "raced" each other all the way to the airport stop. Forum member RTABERN was with me and he said he had never seen this happen before. We arrived at CUS about 5 minutes after the EB did and it was mass confusion with two north bound Metra trains boarding, The Hiawatha and the EB both unloading in the space of four tracks! CUS at its greatest.

Full trip report later.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back