Early Deboarding

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

The train crew can be surprisingly accommodating. One time I was on a spectacularly late Cardinal heading to NWK. My original plan was to catch an NJT back to Metropark where my car was parked. It was so late that by the time it got to NWK I would most likely miss a connection to 67 even, forget about NJT. I mentioned this to the Conductor asking permission to stay on to NYP. Surprisingly he said, we were going to be on track 1 through Metropark due to track 2 out of service. He'll see if he can just let me off there. And lo and behold, the train stopped briefly at Metropark to let me off! That saved me many hours of hassle and got me home early enough so that I could get several hours of sleep before heading off to my work desk at home for a late morning meeting.
While that worked out great for you, I can imagine it conceivably could cause problems if other passengers decided they wanted off too, and possibly delaying the train while they scrambled for their belongings. Or other passengers maybe asking to be left off at some other unscheduled stop…or if someone got off at an unscheduled stop, and suffered some mishap, it could be a legal liability…far-fetched, perhaps, but still possible…🤷

jis

Engineer
AU Lifetime Supporter
Gathering Team Member
While that worked out great for you, I can imagine it conceivably could cause problems if other passengers decided they wanted off too, and possibly delaying the train while they scrambled for their belongings. Or other passengers maybe asking to be left off at some other unscheduled stop…or if someone got off at an unscheduled stop, and suffered some mishap, it could be a legal liability…far-fetched, perhaps, but still possible…🤷
I did not ask for it. I asked to be allowed to stay on till NY instead of getting off at NWK. The entire thing was the Conductor’s idea. I trust his judgement on this more than yours under the circumstances 😬

I suspect the other passengers had no clue what was going on. They opened one Sleeper door in the dead of the night when no one was around, and let me off :) There was not one other soul on the platform either. I just walked across the connecting elevated walkway from the platform to the parking garage and got in my car and drove off.

Last edited:
I did not ask for it. I asked to be allowed to stay on till NY instead of getting off at NWK. The entire thing was the Conductor’s idea. I trust his judgement on this more than yours under the circumstances 😬
Right…not your worry…only his..

AmtrakBlue

Engineer
Gathering Team Member
I wonder how many people thought you were being "thrown off" the train for bad behavior. :D

• Haha
Reactions: Cal

jis

Engineer
AU Lifetime Supporter
Gathering Team Member
I wonder how many people thought you were being "thrown off" the train for bad behavior. :D
Yeah, no one would dream of joining me in getting thrown off at Metropark in the middle of the night when there literally is zero public transit for a few hours at least. :D

Last edited:

Nick Farr

Lead Service Attendant
AU Supporter
And then there was an example of a late boarding. One time in Denver a lady left her kids on the train and went off shopping during the Denver stop of 6. The train left without her creating quite a situation.
This actually isn't a terribly infrequent occurrence. There's always some folks during the summer that board at Winter Park or Granby who got distracted in Denver.

For a while when I was taking the 6 regularly, I would take the time to have a relaxing Brunch (or, sometimes lunch) with a friend in Denver and then continue talking with them as we drove up to Granby to meet the train. The conductors were always a little bemused.

saxman

Engineer
AU Supporter
Gathering Team Member
Speaking of unscheduled stops, I was making a connection in Milwaukee from #8 to the Hiawatha to get off the Milwaukee Airport. The airport stop is a mire 8 miles from downtown, but the Builder doesn't stop there. We were running a couple hours late and I knew the timing wasn't going to workout for the next Hiawatha and that I'd have good 2-3 hour wait in downtown just to go a few more miles. The conductor actually tracked me down after he saw that I was making a connection to the Hiawatha and told me he would try to get approval to stop the EB for me at the airport. He tried, but it didn't work. The airport stop only has one platform on the double track railroad. While the Hiawathas all make the switch over, the Empire Builder always takes the outside track (away of the platform) and CP didn't want to switch the track just for me. I guess they had several northbound trains to contend with. Understandable, but it was a cool gesture. Conductors can see connections from their devices.

jis

Engineer
AU Lifetime Supporter
Gathering Team Member
The airport stop only has one platform on the double track railroad. While the Hiawathas all make the switch over, the Empire Builder always takes the outside track (away of the platform) and CP didn't want to switch the track just for me. I guess they had several northbound trains to contend with. Understandable, but it was a cool gesture. Conductors can see connections from their devices.
This is another perennial probem in this country of doing passenger service on the cheap with patently inadequate facilities to do a decent job of it.