East Coast ports gaining traffic helping CSX and NS

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
From CNBC. This is a boon for CSX and Norfolk Southern, assuming they can handle the increased volume with their "precision scheduled railroading".

East Coast ports including New York are winning a domestic trade war at the expense of California

Rail freight on the East Coast has doubled that of West Coast to the benefit of CSX and Norfolk Southern.

"
The official container count may not be out, but the Port Authority of New York and New Jersey tells CNBC it will be the No. 1 port moving the most containers in the U.S. for the fourth month in a row.

Unresolved port labor negotiations and the AB5 trucking law — which concerns the employment status of drivers — have migrated trade away from the West Coast to the East Coast and Gulf ports, cementing what seems to be with each month a more likely permanent shift, and benefitting not only the ports but East Coast warehousing as well as the two large railroads that service the ports, CSX and Norfolk Southern. According to ITS Logistics which monitors rail cargo trends, the volume of freight moving out of the East Coast doubles that of the West Coast."

Rail freight on the East Coast has doubled that of West Coast to the benefit of CSX and Norfolk Southern.
I can believe it. I was out on a drive in Pennsylvania earlier this week. (Mt. Holly Springs, a little south of Carlisle), we passed under the NS line that connects Harrisburg with wherever it goes to the west, and there was a really long freight train, double stack containers passing by. I mean it was long, I could see it ahead while we waited through at least two traffic signals, there was a locomotive in the middle of the train, and when we passed, the end of the train still hadn't come in sight. It's good the tracks were on an overpass instead of a grade crossing, as I think I might still be waiting for the train.

Unresolved port labor negotiations and the AB5 trucking law — which concerns the employment status of drivers — have migrated trade away from the West Coast to the East Coast and Gulf ports, cementing what seems to be with each month a more likely permanent shift, and benefitting not only the ports but East Coast warehousing as well as the two large railroads that service the ports, CSX and Norfolk Southern. According to ITS Logistics which monitors rail cargo trends, the volume of freight moving out of the East Coast doubles that of the West Coast."
It's amazing what the corporate overlords will do to save a bit of money by screwing over the workers. Hopefully, the east coast port workers and truck drivers will start pushing back.

Back