East / West through train

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The PIP for Cardinal had a proposal for splitting the Cardinal at Indy sending one section on to St Louis and Kansas City, while the other section continued to Chicago. Other than some issues about finding enough rolling stock to achieve that, the overall assessment was positive.

PIP's. Wasn't that 2010???

The Southwest Chief -- "Chief" from from the French word "chef," which is derived from the Latin "kaput" (meaning "head")
The Capitol Limited -- the word "capitol" is derived form the Latin "kaput," too!

Thus, these two trains really should be the same train, and should be run through from Washington to LA! :)

They did for a brief period when you could stay in your Sleeper accommodation through Chicago.
Right. I remember once riding the Capitol during that era, and the announcement when we arrived in Chicago for people who were staying on board. I'm not clear, though, whether the entire Capitol Ltd. consist became the Super Chief, or whether they switched out one through sleeper car to the LA bound train.

The idea has come up before, and it gets all sorts of negative reactions. One problem is that Superliners cannot go into Boston nor New York, so there goes some ideas that have been put forth. Although not an insurmountable situation, the SW Chief and Zephyr would require a back up move out of Chicago Union Station to continue east of Chicago. They have backed into CUS in the past when arriving from the east, but not sure if they still do. Run through would be an easy matter, though, for the Empire Builder. The best chance for coast-to-coast service was the National Limited to St. Louis, and continuing on the Texas Eagle/Sunset route to L.A. IIRC, some of the rail has been pulled up between Pittsburg and Indianapolis, so that is no longer a possibility..
Hmmm... so make the Capitol Limited a through train to the West Coast! Superliner works! And it could slide right through the CHI station in the corner there where the EB usually slides through. Neat idea!

Sooo... if they upgrade all coach and sleeper services to a higher standard... this train will go coast to coast fully booked every day of the year. What's holding you back Amtrak???

Your clientele is chomping at the bit for a transcon ride with a little class and dignity. All the infrastructure is set up and ready to go... all it takes is a little inspiration at the management level... to take advantage of all the enthusiasm that's pent up after all this covid stuff and all the costs cutting which didn't do what it was supposed to do...

Amtrak... your cost cutting is reducing your revenue! Get over it!

Amtrak Unlimited Horizons.png

Right. I remember once riding the Capitol during that era, and the announcement when we arrived in Chicago for people who were staying on board. I'm not clear, though, whether the entire Capitol Ltd. consist became the Super Chief, or whether they switched out one through sleeper car to the LA bound train.
The entire consist.

Back