Eastern Sleeping Car Passengers Pre-Order Meals

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

NativeSon5859

OBS Chief
There’s another screen I didn’t save which showed you the items you can pick. Below each item was a description. For breakfast, you don’t have to select anything..it just lists everything they are service. The choices are the same as what’s being offered on the updated menu here...C784F3A3-24AD-43BA-8620-74885F52F3C8.jpeg

tgstubbs1

Train Attendant
Nice. Do they provide basic nutritional info (carbs, protein, fat, fiber, sodium, etc)?

PVD

Conductor
AU Supporter
They have standard nutrition information on the website, of course, it has not been updated to reflect the current choices, so it is useless.

crescent-zephyr

Conductor
The disclaimer about gluten free is new since the original October roll out I think.

One of the very few advantages of pre-packaged meals should be guaranteed gluten free meals. It’s so easy if someone just bothers to care.

fdaley

Train Attendant
The pictures in the menu look disgusting. I’m not looking forward to my ride in September. Amtrak needs to get its act together, or people will give up on them.
Yuk. I already have given up on them. Which distresses me greatly, as train travel has been one of the great pleasures of my life. But I just can't pretend that I would enjoy eating this stuff. For the price paid for a sleeper room, it's really an insult.

Last edited:

NativeSon5859

OBS Chief
What was your favorite Amtrak dish before the contemporary meals?
My go-to was the land and sea for dinner. Always good. The chilaquiles were really good for lunch and I never had a bad plate of railroad French toast.

I miss the traditional dining, but if this is the way it’s going to be, I can learn to deal with it.

Steve4031

Conductor
AU Supporter
Steak for dinner and pancakes for breakfast. The meatballs and pasta is ok substitute for dinner. I can deal with the breakfast. But lunch is a mess because I don’t like the other meals.

What is the other part of the lobster dish?

Manny T

Lead Service Attendant
Not sure what good it is to like one dish or another on the flex dining menu. Does that mean on an overnight trip you order it for both dinner and lunch, and then again on the return trip? Eat the same thing 3-4 times on the train?

I mean I have a favorite too on the flex dining menu but so what. I don't look forward to ordering it for dinner and lunch on the CL eastbound and then having it again for dinner westbound. Would prefer a menu where all/most of the selections were acceptable choices. Or as Garrison Keillor used to say about the kids in Lake Wobegone, "where all the children are above average."

nferr

Lead Service Attendant
I just had the shrimp with lobster sauce last night and it was very good. No complaints at all.
I'm on the Capital Limited now. Had the Chicken Marsala and it was fine. Was it the steak? No. But it was nothing like the crying on this forum would have you believe. Just had breakfast, the sausage and egg muffin, blueberry yogurt, orange juice and two cups of coffee. I'm not hungry.