Eastern vs western long distance trains

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Good evening, What would you all say is the main difference between eastern and western long distance trains? Also how come most western long distance trains have traditionally dinning and eastern ones have flexible dinning? Thanks.

Good evening, What would you all say is the main difference between eastern and western long distance trains? Also how come most western long distance trains have traditionally dinning and eastern ones have flexible dinning? Thanks.
In a nutshell Eastern trains are viewliners,single level,with the exception of the Capitol Limited,which is a double decker Superliner. All the Western long distance trains are Superliners. Traditional dining is on the Western trains because they are two night runs,with the exception of the Coast Starlight,which has traditional dining and the Texas Eagle,which doesn't. All Eastern LD trains are one overnight.

Until 2018,two years before the pandemic,most trains had cooked to order dining. Exceptions were the Cardinal and The City of New Orleans.

In a nutshell Eastern trains are viewliners,single level,with the exception of the Capitol Limited,which is a double decker Superliner. All the Western long distance trains are Superliners. Traditional dining is on the Western trains because they are two night runs,with the exception of the Coast Starlight,which has traditional dining and the Texas Eagle,which doesn't. All Eastern LD trains are one overnight.

Until 2018,two years before the pandemic,most trains had cooked to order dining. Exceptions were the Cardinal and The City of New Orleans.

This is because of tunnel height restrictions south of Washington (which is not a problem on the Capitol Limited because it leaves Washington going northwest, not southwest like every other LD train).

This is because of tunnel height restrictions south of Washington (which is not a problem on the Capitol Limited because it leaves Washington going northwest, not southwest like every other LD train).
As I understood it, this is because of tunnel height restrictions in Baltimore and entering New York. The Cardinal used to be a Superliner, despite leaving Washington to the southwest. When Superliner cars were used, it terminated in Washington rather than continuing to New York, but was still able to enter Washington through the tunnel under Capitol Hill.

no its got to do with the tunnels in and around NYC. The Baltimore and Potomac Tunnel is finally being replaced with the Frederick Douglas tunnel which initially will be 2 single track tunnels with options for 2 more when NEC adds more quad tracking. Those while not being big enough for double stacks should allow 17ft tall cars

While it’s a bit of a different animal, the Autotrain is another eastern LD train that uses Superliners. It also has traditional dining

The eastern trains are single overnight trains - that does change the needs of the passengers. There’s also less truly spectacular scenery in the east.

While watching the engine change in DC, I was told by some of the Amtrak people that the height of the catenary lines was also a reason for single-level trains.

There’s also the Sightseer Lounge, which is only available on western trains (except the Texas Eagle). The western trains also tend to have better scenery as well. Given that and the food, I’d say the western trains offer the best experience, though some may prefer Viewliner sleepers over Superliner sleepers.
It is very simple. If you want something good to eat, take the western trains, except for the Texas Eagle. If you don't care what you eat or if you eat, take the eastern trains or the Texas Eagle.

Re dining. Staffing. I believe they are trying to get the needed staff numbers to bring back traditional dining to the eastern trains.

While watching the engine change in DC, I was told by some of the Amtrak people that the height of the catenary lines was also a reason for single-level trains.
The Amtrak people do not necessarily speak very knowledgeably about such things. ;) General vertical clearances on the NEC is the issue, specifically in the tunnels and through a few stations. Catenary by itself is not since most of the catenary on the NEC that is not otherwise physically restricted vertically, would clear double stacks and tall Auto racks. Superliners are much shorter than them.

Superliners operate fine under catenary into Washington Union Station.

Also how come most western long distance trains have traditionally dinning and eastern ones have flexible dinning? Thanks.
Eastern routes are single overnight. The routes with traditional dining are long two night sprawling routes through scenic terrain which tend to be the routes that attract the most passengers looking for the train travel experience so the dining car experience is more critical from a business perspective. The exception to that is the Coast Starlight but that train also runs through incredibly scenic territory and also attracts a lot of people looking for the experience but not quite as long as the 4 midwest to west coast routes. The eastern trains offer transportation that isn't a plane or a car, the western trains offer a truly unique experience.

no its got to do with the tunnels in and around NYC. The Baltimore and Potomac Tunnel is finally being replaced with the Frederick Douglas tunnel which initially will be 2 single track tunnels with options for 2 more when NEC adds more quad tracking. Those while not being big enough for double stacks should allow 17ft tall cars
While the B&P will be eventually replaced, I think the Union Tunnels east of Baltimore Penn Station may still be an obstacle. Do they support Plate F? I know they are less restrictive than the B&P, but am not sure of the actual clearance there.

The eastern trains offer transportation that isn't a plane or a car, the western trains offer a truly unique experience.
Yes and no.

The western trains also offer transportation that isn’t a plane or car and the eastern trains used to offer the exact same “unique experience” as the western trains.

Yes and no.

The western trains also offer transportation that isn’t a plane or car and the eastern trains used to offer the exact same “unique experience” as the western trains.
I'm not just talking about dining when I say the unique experience. On the eastern Long distance routes you're looking at woods and some farm land - some of them with a significant part of the journey at night. It isn't the same experience as out west where on many of the routes you have extensive periods of daylight looking at spectacular scenery. There are some nice areas on some of the eastern LDs but it isn't the same. As a result the ridership at least from my experience in the east seems to tilt more towards "getting there" and I suspect some of those reasons are why those trains were targeted - the experience was deemed "less important." Not that there aren't people riding western LD trains to "get there" and that there aren't people riding in the east to try something different, but I think the downgrades were far more damaging out west for those reasons - those trains have the largest ridership seeking out that experience. This isn't to say that I agree with the downgrades - I frankly look forward to the return of traditional meals on the Silvers - but I can see why trains in the east were downgraded and not the west I don't think it was purely an arbitrary decision - in fact they basically said it.

There are some nice areas on some of the eastern LDs but it isn't the same.
I get what you are saying but in my experience, specifically in sleepers, most of the people are still using the train “to get there” with the exception of the tour groups and the occasional international travelers I’ve met on the zephyr, Chief and builder.

I would actually say the starlight is more people “getting there” than some of the eastern trains like the Capitol but that’s all anecdotal observations of course.

I know that Amtrak management said the western travelers were more “experiential” but I don’t think those managers have actually ridden the trains much ha ha.

I get what you are saying but in my experience, specifically in sleepers, most of the people are still using the train “to get there” with the exception of the tour groups and the occasional international travelers I’ve met on the zephyr, Chief and builder.

I would actually say the starlight is more people “getting there” than some of the eastern trains like the Capitol but that’s all anecdotal observations of course.

I know that Amtrak management said the western travelers were more “experiential” but I don’t think those managers have actually ridden the trains much ha ha.
Well and there's also the matter that if I'm going to be on the train for 40 hours the food is going to be more of a sticking point than a 17 hour trip. I survived a west bound cross country traverse on the Zephyr with flex dining - I got through it but by EMY it was getting a bit old - was very pleased to have the newly restored traditional dining on day 3 or 4 for my return trip east on the Chief.

There are two Silvers that run from Miami to NY. While it is true that Savanah to NY is, basically, an "overnight" trip
  • the Meteor leaves Miami at 8:10 AM and does not reach NYP until 11:18 AM the following day
  • the Star leaves Miami at 11:40 AM and does not reach NYP until 7:10 PM the following day
  • The Meteor leaves NYP at 3:15 PM and does not reach Miami until 7 PM the next day
  • The Star leaves NYP at 11 Am and does not reach Miami until 6:35 PM the next day
The Silver is 27 hours, and the Star is 31 hours - I would say that both Silvers are more than "an overnight" train. 27-31 hours is plenty long enough that Amtrak should offer the same level of food as the Western trains on these Eastern trains.

There are two Silvers that run from Miami to NY. While it is true that Savanah to NY is, basically, an "overnight" trip
  • the Meteor leaves Miami at 8:10 AM and does not reach NYP until 11:18 AM the following day
  • the Star leaves Miami at 11:40 AM and does not reach NYP until 7:10 PM the following day
  • The Meteor leaves NYP at 3:15 PM and does not reach Miami until 7 PM the next day
  • The Star leaves NYP at 11 Am and does not reach Miami until 6:35 PM the next day
The Silver is 27 hours, and the Star is 31 hours - I would say that both Silvers are more than "an overnight" train. 27-31 hours is plenty long enough that Amtrak should offer the same level of food as the Western trains on these Eastern trains.
Probably why they are targeted for dining restoration first.

The Silvers, Capitol, and Lake Shore all target the types of passengers that would appreciate traditional dining cars.

The crescent is tricky because south of Atlanta ridership in sleepers drops, and then the city and Texas eagle are kinda unique as well with ridership - the original CCC concept was quite good for them imho.

That leaves the Cardinal with its 3 x week weirdness haha.

Probably why they are targeted for dining restoration first.
Meanwhile Crescent with similar end to end times does not even have a Diner, let alone getting dining service back. :rolleyes:

But of course we gotta start somewhere to unwind our follies ;)

Meanwhile the airlines have managed to restore food service at a level better than before the pandemic. Hey upon boarding my flight on my trip to Kansas City in First Class, on each flight I was offered Sparkling Wine, Orange juice or Water upon getting seated in my seat! Amtrak used to offer small bottles once upon a time in Sleeper upon boarding. But that went away a long time back.

Ditto for the Texas Eaglette @ 32 Hours with Flex Food for Sleeping Car Passengers Only and No Sight Seer Lounge!🤬

Meanwhile Crescent with similar end to end times does not even have a Diner, let alone getting dining service back. :rolleyes:

But of course we gotta start somewhere to unwind our follies ;)

Meanwhile the airlines have managed to restore food service at a level better than before the pandemic. Hey upon boarding my flight on my trip to Kansas City in First Class, on each flight I was offered Sparkling Wine, Orange juice or Water upon getting seated in my seat! Amtrak used to offer small bottles once upon a time in Sleeper upon boarding. But that went away a long time back.
Now it’s just the two bottled waters left for you in the cabin.

Back