EB #8 11/30 MSP BNSF Lead Locomotive

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

No real RR Job
AU Supporting Member
Something odd today EB #8 the lead locomotive was BNSF (7902) locomotive - - -
and the regular consist less one Amtrak loco.

BNSF trackage into MSP and CP trackage out to MKE and CHI ?

My last trip on EB #8 in 2018, the Amtrak loco on the PDX leg fried 5 miles east of VAN. Three hours late, my train showed up at my boarding station WIH with a BNSF loco in the lead, and the dysfunctional Amtrak loco following right behind it. We kept that lead loco (along with the Amtrak branded one from the SEA leg) until MSP where they took it off. As I recall, we winged it the rest of the way with just one functioning loco.

Here's a photo of the locos at Havre. I think #45 is the Amtrak one that fried and died:
1_trip16.jpg

Not saying this is what will happen with the EB #8 today, but that's what has happened before. If the current consist is missing an Amtrak loco, a number of other things might have happened too.

Depends----------- If the Amtrak train can limp to a location of an available loco then the Amtrak crew prepares the freight loco ( disconnecting starting etc) . The Amtrak crew will then move loco to head end of train with dispatcher's permission and if necessary tow the broken loco to a designated spot if it was unable to continue. Then after permanent connection to Amtrak train make brake check and then off to the races.

If train stalled and a passing freight can loan a loco then crews work together to do whatever needed to put a freight loco on front of Amtrak see above.

A freight crew might need to be called to grab a loco and ferry that loco to a stalled Amtrak train. Once freight loco attached and whatever necessary is done then Amtrak crew move the train. Note it will almost always be an Amtrak engineer to operate HEP in trailing Amtrak loco. One time I was in that situation and the Amtrak engineer was dead on law (HOS) and he rode the Amtrak loco while freight engineer ran loco after Amtrak set up the brake system.

Unfortunately, this has become no so odd
Maybe with this new government funding - the oddity will be replaced with planned maintenance and timely equipment upgrading or new equipment.
Fortunately Amtrak has close immediate relief from BNSF and CP equipment when (locos) breakdown on the EB route.

Back