EB coach outlets?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

-Jamie-

Service Attendant
Tried searching, but kept getting an error. Does the EB have outlets at the seats in coach?

Tried searching, but kept getting an error. Does the EB have outlets at the seats in coach?
Just a few. Many people try to find something in the lounge car (where there are also only a few). You'll have a better chance if you pack a power strip so you can offer to share an outlet.
I think it depends on the coach car you're in. On my trip on the Empire Builder last month, the west-bound coach I was on had outlets at every row of coach seats. Not so on the return trip. I have the impression that the outlets may be added as Superliners are rebuilt/refurbished. I'm sure someone has more definite information.

I think it depends on the coach car you're in. On my trip on the Empire Builder last month, the west-bound coach I was on had outlets at every row of coach seats. Not so on the return trip. I have the impression that the outlets may be added as Superliners are rebuilt/refurbished. I'm sure someone has more definite information.
That's correct - some will have them - some won't - luck of the draw.

Just a few. Many people try to find something in the lounge car (where there are also only a few). You'll have a better chance if you pack a power strip so you can offer to share an outlet.

Same situation for me. On my EB trip in June, the westbound coach had outlets at every seat and the eastbound did not.

Same situation for me. On my EB trip in June, the westbound coach had outlets at every seat and the eastbound did not.
Maybe they put them in for one direction and take them out for the other just to keep everyone confused. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Adding to the problem of the Superliner Coaches that have only a few outlets is that those outlets are partially blocked by the arm rest, but on a recent trip in Coach, the attendant told me to slightly turn the seat to free the outlet. Not only did it work, but it gave me just enough angle to make looking out the window easier. And I made sure no one was in the seats behind me, as that would make it difficult for them to use their foot rests or tray tables.

most trains i have been on had at least one coach car with outlets at every seat, the coast starlight on 7/31 (south bound) was the first one that didn't have one in ANY of the coach cars

Last edited by a moderator:
The some of the half refubed Amfleet II's have only one outlet. Luckily, I don't use it, for I look out the window and see locomotives and scenery, aaa :D

cpamtfan-Peter

It was hit or miss during my eastbound trip on California Zephyr. When I rode number 6 from DAV to SLC on July 16, two of the three coaches had seatside power outlets. When I continued my trip from SLC to CUS on July 21, none of the coaches had increased outlets.

The power strip idea came in handy. As you can see from the photo, it got a lot of use. It made a lot more sense than having people fight over three outlets (or try to charge up in the bathrooms).

train_outlet.jpg

Neither coach cars on our train last night had any seat outlets. Wound up hogging the ladies changing room for 20 min or so which worked out fine since no one needed to use it. I did want to mention that we had the most worthless crew ever.

Isn't having an outlet at one's seat, suppose to be an amenity for business class? Plus, of course, a private use outlet is available any sleeper rooms.

If one wants/needs/expects a business class amenity, then shouldn't one be willing to pay for the upgrade?

Isn't having an outlet at one's seat, suppose to be an amenity for business class? Plus, of course, a private use outlet is available any sleeper rooms.
If one wants/needs/expects a business class amenity, then shouldn't one be willing to pay for the upgrade?
There's no business class on the Empire Builder, so this really doesn't apply. Instead there are some coaches with lots of outlets, others not so much.

When I get on a coach car that doesn't have outlets at every seat, I try to plug a 1 to 3 adapter into the outlet, and in the adapter I plug an extension cord with 3 outlets on its end. Then I sit near the outlet and use the extension cord, which I share with others.

So we potentially have 5 things plugged into the ONE outlet - is it safe??? Laptops, cell phones, mp3 players, ipods etc are all low current devices, 5 of them don't add up to the vacuum cleaner that the attendant is supposed to use, and is what the outlet is supposedly for.

I think it is safe.

So we potentially have 5 things plugged into the ONE outlet - is it safe??? Laptops, cell phones, mp3 players, ipods etc are all low current devices, 5 of them don't add up to the vacuum cleaner that the attendant is supposed to use, and is what the outlet is supposedly for.
I think it is safe.
I'd think that you're safe. I've had two cell phones, a laptop, scanner, and a razor all plugged into one surge protector in a sleeper and all without incident.

Forgot to mention, coming back on the EB from SPK-PDX we had outlets at the seats.

If you get on an unrefurbished Superliner that does not have outlets at every seat, there should be a single outlet in the wall, about knee level, by seats 19/20 and 55/56. See my post over at Railforum:

http://www.railforum.com/cgi-bin/ultimateb...789.html#000000

By the way, having all those cell phones and other gadgets shown in the photo plugged in at the same time is perfectly safe. A cell phone charging only takes about 2 watts, while a laptop takes about 60 watts. Most of those power strips are good for about 1200-1500 watts. I'm an electrical engineer, so I know watt's up.

I just rode the EB both ways a week or so ago and got the bad luck of not having outlets at my coach seat either direction. My mom rode it a few months ago and said she did, so it really is just luck of the draw. Oh well, I found enough to do!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back