EB hits vehicle in Wisconsin

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It was a truck that apparently went around a car stopped at the crossing and then tried to go around the gate.

Though it probably was a stupid driver I do wonder if maybe the road was a hill and the brakes failed on the truck and the driver was trying to avoid hitting the car.

It was a truck that apparently went around a car stopped at the crossing and then tried to go around the gate. Though it probably was a stupid driver I do wonder if maybe the road was a hill and the brakes failed on the truck and the driver was trying to avoid hitting the car.
Modern vehicle brakes rarely just fail altogether with no warning to the driver. Instead they make odd noises and vibrations as they lose effectiveness over time. Even when main breaks do eventually fail you still have engine downshifting, emergency braking, zigzagging, and shoulder hugging to work with. What does lose effectiveness in a sudden and unpredicable fashion are the smooth brains of aggressive pickup drivers.

Correct! Actually, three I believe...

The two I referred to were traveling together, both friends of mine from Minnesota. One of them reported on Facebook there also was a medical emergency at Wisconsin Dells plus a PTC incident (he didn’t mention where) that set them back about 20 minutes each. All told, they arrived a little over 3 1/2 hours late into Red Wing around 12:25 AM.

The two I referred to were traveling together, both friends of mine from Minnesota. One of them reported on Facebook there also was a medical emergency at Wisconsin Dells plus a PTC incident (he didn’t mention where) that set them back about 20 minutes each. All told, they arrived a little over 3 1/2 hours late into Red Wing around 12:25 AM.
Ah, I believe in additional to those two @Acela150 was on board. (According to another AU thread or post, I can't keep track of them!)

Good introduction to OBS...LOL

Yes indeed. :)

As mentioned I was on board. The PAX in my sleeper were all in good spirits and made the best of the delay. The majority of the car was a group which made the difference as they knew one another or were getting to know one and other better. No one on board was injured, and for those who are curious the leader 161 sustained no major damage if any.

As mentioned I was on board. The PAX in my sleeper were all in good spirits and made the best of the delay. The majority of the car was a group which made the difference as they knew one another or were getting to know one and other better. No one on board was injured, and for those who are curious the leader 161 sustained no major damage if any.

Glad you are OK as well as your passengers. ❤

I'm glad that 161 wasn't majorly damaged!

We were in PDX sleeper #2! We sure appreciated the amazing service! :)

So the 161 leader sustain "It's just a scratch" to note the Devil's Advocate avatar !

No need to replace the lead locomotive with the second or other replacement ?

Back