Electric Loco Question...

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

AmtrakerBx

Train Attendant
Are there situations when BOTH pantagraphs are raised during

operations????, Can the Loco's actually operate with both up???

I know normally the rear one is raised....as the front one could

possible snag the rear one....I have seen pics of both raised

on some european locos.... I've always been curious, thanks...

Amfleet said:
Sometimes during the winter, especially during snow storms, both will be raised for better contact. Otherwise only the rear one is raised.
Let me clarify that statement. The front pantagraph is raised, simply so that it knocks any snow and/or ice off of the wire. That in turn creates better contact for the rear pantagraph.

I don't believe however that the front pantagraph is being used to pull down power. While I'm not positive, I don't think that both pantagraphs can be used at the same time to draw power.

That must be the reason. Slightly off topic, how come I've seen Acela Express Trainsets with only one pantagraph raised on the rear power car, and not raised at all on the head power car?

Amfleet said:
That must be the reason. Slightly off topic, how come I've seen Acela Express Trainsets with only one pantagraph raised on the rear power car, and not raised at all on the head power car?
You got me? :huh: I've never seen one in operation that way. Was it in the station or the yard at the time? Or was it in operation?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back