Electronic smokes on board?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Tumbleweed

OBS Chief
I don't smoke, but my wife is making a hard effort to quit smoking, and she is now using the electronic cigarettes with no smoke emission.......does anyone know if they are allowed on board AMTRAK, or are they a no-no?

According to this post from 02/2010,

ELECTRONIC CIGARETTES OR E-CIGARETTES ARE BEING MARKETED AS A SAFER ALTERNATIVE TO SMOKING TOBACCO PRODUCTS FOR INDIVIDUALS WHO ARE ADDICTED TO OR WANT TO USE NICOTINE. MANY OF THESE ELECTRONIC DEVICES ARE DESIGNED TO LOOK LIKE CIGARETTES, CIGARS AND PIPES. THERE HAVE BEEN SOME INSTANCES OF PASSENGERS SMOKING E-CIGARETTES ON AMTRAK TRAINS AND IN AMTRAK STATIONS. THESE ELECTRONIC DEVICES HAVE NOT BEEN APPROVED BY THE FDA AS BEING SAFE TO USE.AN E-CIGARETTE CONSISTS OF A METAL OR PLASTIC TUBE THAT CONTAINS A LITHIUM BATTERY PACK, A HEATING ELEMENT, ELECTRONIC COMPONENTS, AND, IN THOSE DESIGNED TO LOOK LIKE CIGARETTES, AN LED AT ONE END THAT MIMICS THE GLOW OF A LIT CIGARETTE WHEN THE USER DRAWS AIR THROUGH IT. WHEN A USER DRAWS AIR THROUGH THE DEVICE, A HEATING ELEMENT VAPORIZES THE NICOTINE CONTAINING PROPYLENE GLYCOL SOLUTION, AND THE VAPOR IS INHALED INTO THE LUNGS. WHEN THEY ARE PUFFED, A VAPOR IS EMITTED INTO THE ATMOSPHERE. THE VAPOR EMITTED CAN BE VISUALLY SIMILAR TO CIGARETTE SMOKE. THERE IS ALSO THE POSSIBILITY THAT THE EXHALED AEROSOL FROM AN E-CIGARETTE COULD CONTAIN NICOTINE, PROPYLENE GLYCOL OR OTHER VOLATILE MATERIALS.

AMTRAK DOES NOT ALLOW THE USE OF THESE ELECTRONIC SMOKING DEVICES IN ANY AREA ON TRAINS, ON THRUWAY BUSES, IN STATIONS, OR IN ANY OTHER AREA WHERE SMOKING IS PROHIBITED.
So, more than just being big brother, there is a concern of exhaling nicotine, propylene glycol, and perhaps an odor into the cabin.

Last edited by a moderator:
As an ex-smoker who quit cold turkey in 1993, I don't want anyone smoking anything around me.

Four years ago an older brother of mine died from lung cancer.

He never smoked, but was married for 50 years to a chain smoker.

He got the cancer ~ she didn't.

As an ex-smoker who quit cold turkey in 1993, I don't want anyone smoking anything around me.

Yes, I am an adamant ex-smoker who buried 2 family members from lung cancer, no smoking is NO SMOKING. I believe an issue came up not long ago about wheel chair bound passengers being able to smoke downstairs in superliners. That is wrong as well. I am sorry for your brother bobnabq.

These devices are not "smoking". They are basically a neutralizer that uses nicotine. It is not the nicotine that gives people cancer.

The only thing I can see that might be a problem is any smells, but there are plenty of people that have body odor much worse than any smells given off by this.

I was on the Capitol Limited this spring and saw this ban enforced.

While on the CS in March, I observed a 20 something using an e-cigarette in the PPC. No one stopped him. He was being very discrete about it.

A bit off topic, but that never stopped me before :lol: :lol: :A couple of nights ago on the EB enroute back to Spokane from the gathering, just before our smoke stop in Wenatchee, the announcement was made over the PA that anyone wishing to smoke would have to move at least 25 feet from the open doors of the cars, as smoking in the state of Washington is prohibited within 25 feet of any doors. I don't smoke and don't like being around cigarette/cigar/pipe/pot :lol: smoke, so that made the stop that much more enjoyable to me. I've been to Seattle several times on the EB since that law was enacted and that's the first time I've heard an announcement on Amtrak about the 25 foot rule.

Smoking and Non-Smoking Policies

All Amtrak trains, Thruway buses and stations are entirely non-smoking except for the Auto Train.

• Electronic smoking devices, such as electronic cigarettes, are not allowed in any area on trains, on Thruway services, in stations or in any other location where smoking is prohibited.
  • On Auto Train, passengers may smoke only in a designated, enclosed smoking room located on the lower level of the Lounge Car.
  • If such a car is not on a train due to an equipment substitution, then that entire train is non-smoking.

The only thing I can see that might be a problem is any smells, but there are plenty of people that have body odor much worse than any smells given off by this.
I suspect most folks on here would also oppose body odor. :wacko:

They don't make folks ever leave the train station for a smoke break. In fact, I've about had it with smokers. They push and shove their way to the front of the line to get off the train before those who are disembarking at the station (understandably to get more puff time in), and then they smoke SMACK in front of the entrance to the train, where everyone has to breathe in their smoke while waiting for the rest of the folks to get off the train and those in front of them to get on.

On my August trip on the SWC, I had a passenger in near proximity to me that represented the worst of both worlds, at first in the seat next to me in coach and then one seat ahead of me: Not only had he never been introduced to Right Guard, but he reeked of stale cigarette smoke. As a side issue, on top of that, he was making and receiving phone calls on his *%(**&ing cell phone at all hours. This was in coach all the way to LA from Chicago. Fortunately, on the second day, the car attendant put a stop to all the cell phone activity, and the guy got huffy and spent most of his time in the lounge car after that. He still "blessed" me and those around us with his presence from time to time afterward, and by the time we had arrived in LA, after not washing nor changing clothes for the whole length of the trip, he was not especially smelling like a bed of roses. :angry:

On my August trip on the SWC, I had a passenger in near proximity to me that represented the worst of both worlds, at first in the seat next to me in coach and then one seat ahead of me: Not only had he never been introduced to Right Guard, but he reeked of stale cigarette smoke. As a side issue, on top of that, he was making and receiving phone calls on his *%(**&ing cell phone at all hours. This was in coach all the way to LA from Chicago. Fortunately, on the second day, the car attendant put a stop to all the cell phone activity, and the guy got huffy and spent most of his time in the lounge car after that. He still "blessed" me and those around us with his presence from time to time afterward, and by the time we had arrived in LA, after not washing nor changing clothes for the whole length of the trip, he was not especially smelling like a bed of roses. :angry:

Take a small jar of Vicks or other mentholatum rub and put a dab under your nose. Blocks out unpleasant smells. Morgue workers, nurses, and search and recovery workers use this trick when necessary.

They don't make folks ever leave the train station for a smoke break. In fact, I've about had it with smokers. They push and shove their way to the front of the line to get off the train before those who are disembarking at the station (understandably to get more puff time in), and then they smoke SMACK in front of the entrance to the train, where everyone has to breathe in their smoke while waiting for the rest of the folks to get off the train and those in front of them to get on.
My apologies to my smoker friends, but this situation has gotten really disgusting. We can't enjoy getting on or off the train anymore because of the huge cloud of carcinogens we must walk through. I hate to say it, but it may be time to end smoke breaks. It is really a really unhealthy situation. This is a public place, and nonsmokers are forced to walk through smoke.

Caravanman, that's sort of the point. The actual Amtrak policy is based on the emissions from the electronic cigarettes which can then be correlated to real smoking.

Smoking can be as passionate of an issue as politics and religion, there is no doubt.

Take a small jar of Vicks or other mentholatum rub and put a dab under your nose. Blocks out unpleasant smells. Morgue workers, nurses, and search and recovery workers use this trick when necessary.
Will someone please add Vicks to the list of items one needs to take camping, err, I mean when traveling on Amtrak.

Hey, just try this next time you are exiting behind a bunch of smokers who are just lighting up after hitting the platform.

(In a loud voice, smile on your face, and jovial tone)

"Hey smokers! Just wanted to remind you that Amtrak's policy on smoking REQUIRES you to be at least 25 feet away from the entrance to this Superliner/Viewliner/Amfleet/Bucket-O-Bolts, to protect non-smokers like me, right <Insert name of Amtrak TA-C or TA-S>, (standing there, doing nothing about it)? THANKS! "

You may not win any popularity contests, but being popular is vastly over rated. If you really want to enjoy it, and ramp it up a notch, throw in the line, "..........As stated in Amtrak's Service Manual, on page Hmmmmmmmmmm, doesn't seem to be stated......... Well, I've never let the facts get in the way of a good story. Just say "...Page 5, section 4, paragraph 2........"With a very authoritative voice.

It's fun!

Hey, just try this next time you are exiting behind a bunch of smokers who are just lighting up after hitting the platform.

(In a loud voice, smile on your face, and jovial tone)

"Hey smokers! Just wanted to remind you that Amtrak's policy on smoking REQUIRES you to be at least 25 feet away from the entrance to this Superliner/Viewliner/Amfleet/Bucket-O-Bolts, to protect non-smokers like me, right <Insert name of Amtrak TA-C or TA-S>, (standing there, doing nothing about it)? THANKS! "

You may not win any popularity contests, but being popular is vastly over rated. If you really want to enjoy it, and ramp it up a notch, throw in the line, "..........As stated in Amtrak's Service Manual, on page Hmmmmmmmmmm, doesn't seem to be stated......... Well, I've never let the facts get in the way of a good story. Just say "...Page 5, section 4, paragraph 2........"With a very authoritative voice.

It's fun!
Sorry to respectfully disagree with you rrdude, but how could acting like a pompous jerk, wanting to seem authoritative, yelling dubious regulations at fellow passengers on the platform at an allowed smoke break be fun? In response, would I then politely ask you to either stop your motor or keep your tail-pipe at least 25' from the platform.

Well shoot. If only patches worked for everyone. They take the leading edge off, but I haven't been able to quit on them (been trying and have cut way back). Guess I'll have to double up and add the mini lozenges for my trip or I'll be apt to kill someone, meds or no. Some of us are more prone to addiction than others, I'm afraid.

Well shoot. If only patches worked for everyone. They take the leading edge off, but I haven't been able to quit on them (been trying and have cut way back). Guess I'll have to double up and add the mini lozenges for my trip or I'll be apt to kill someone, meds or no. Some of us are more prone to addiction than others, I'm afraid.
I smoked for 35 years (they were FREE/Cheap in the Service, my how times change!) quit in 1996 with the Aid of Nicotine Gum and plenty of Fluids and WILL Power!(I tried every p[rogram and technique out there, only the Gum worked!) No addiction can be whipped without the Desire to stop ,but you'll always need a little help fom your friends!! ^_^

Actually had a fellow passenger ask a conductor about this as we were approaching a smoke stop station, my destination, the conductor said he had no problem with it as it was only water vapor emissions. It through me off as much as anything can after half a night's sleep.

While it is officially agaist the rules, YMMV.

Just 20 or so minutes ago I was told that I could not puff on an e cig traveling from DC to Chicago, which caught me completely off-guard. I am discreet and in two years have never been confronted. Conductor was polite and professional, but it seems a passenger saw me and complained I was smoking a cigar.

I never realized restrictions existed, but sure enough, they are in the policy. The policy does seem a little disjointed, because this is NOT smoking as nothing burns and there is no smoke. It makes as much sense as saying, "Amtrak is completely smoke free and smoking is not allowed. This includes chewing gum, using breath mints, wearing perfume, or using scented deodorant."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back