Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
How far in advance are you looking? The closer you are to a travel date the less likely there will be a low bucket fare.
I have literally checked every date over the past week including the latest dates available into August and the lowest one person senior roomette fare from Chi to Lax and return on the TE was $876. Booking way ahead doesn't guarantee you low bucket anymore. If anybody on this forum can find a $600 fare,I'll grab it!

I have checked every date over the last few weeks and there are no $623 roomette fares to be found between Chicago and LA and return on the Texas Eagle. If $623 is low bucket,why aren't there any fares at that price?
There doesn't have to be. They can allocate zero inventory to that bucket and apparently have. That doesn't mean the won't reallocate inventory to a lower bucket if demand at the current bucket doesn't develop.

Words matter. Low bucket and lowest available bucket are two different things.

I have checked every date over the last few weeks and there are no $623 roomette fares to be found between Chicago and LA and return on the Texas Eagle. If $623 is low bucket,why aren't there any fares at that price?
There doesn't have to be. They can allocate zero inventory to the low bucket and apparently have. That doesn't mean they won't reallocate inventory to a lower bucket if demand at current buckets doesn't develop.

Low bucket and lowest available bucket are two different things.

What is clear is Amtrak has gotten more aggressive in their inventory allocations.

The low bucket on the TE between Chi and LA went up $250 a few months ago. It was $600 when I rode in May.
Multiple Trains
DEPARTS
1:45p

20% full

20% full
65h 50m2 Segment
ARRIVES
5:35a
Fri, Feb 18
Details

Rooms from
$526
2 left at this price

Please try to understand that just because you cannot find any date where a low bucket fare of $623 is offered for a Roomette for 1 adult on the TE or SWC over its full route doesn't mean nobody else has found the $623 fare.

I found such a fare during the last months of intermittent searching. Just for giggles and snorts, within the next 6 hours try LAX to CHI on 7 Jan 2022 and see how much a Roomette costs for one adult on the TE.

Break, break, I say again - - -

" Just for giggles and snorts, within the next 6 hours try LAX to CHI on 7 Jan 2022 and see how much a Roomette costs for one adult on the TE."

That 1/7 LA to Chi TE fare didn't last long. The reverse direction on that day was $1019. I really thought low bucket went to $876. In all the searching I did I never saw anything lower. I did pay $653 out of Bloomington in a roomette for a June trip and the $13 coach fare from Chicago. To save $210 is a no brainer.

Again,thanks for alerting me that the $623 is still low bucket on the Eagle but trying to find that fare is very difficult.

That 1/7 LA to Chi TE fare didn't last long.
Don't make that assumption.

That accommodation first became available 11 months back from 7 Jan 2022 or on about 7 Feb 2021. That was more than 7 months ago and for all any of us know it may have been offered at low bucket since it came on the market and remain unchanged until last night - and lasted more than 7 months.

But I know what you meant! :)

I seem to remember roomette fares on the EB Chicago to Seattle were around $265 low bucket about 10 years ago?
Sounds right. I paid $505 a few months ago for a trip last week. I think that's still low bucket,but they are very hard to find.

Back