Empire Builder Celebrates 75 years

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

battalion51

Engineer
The following is from the June 12 Trains.com Newswire

This week in history – GN’s “Empire Builder” marks its 75th anniversary
ST. PAUL, Minn. — This week marks the 75th anniversary of the “Empire Builder,” launched by the Great Northern Railway as its premier passenger train between Chicago and Seattle (via GN subsidiary Burlington Route between Chicago and St. Paul, GN’s headquarters city). The train name continued in 1970 after GN went into the new Burlington Northern, and since its inception in 1971, Amtrak has continued the name on its Chicago-Seattle service, although the train runs via Milwaukee, Wis., on its eastern leg. There has also been a Spokane-Portland, Ore., section of the service throughout most of its history, including currently.

The train, named in honor of GN leader James J. Hill, who was known as the "Empire Builder" because of his ability to create prosperous businesses, was inaugurated on June 11, 1929.

The “Empire Builder” became GN’s standard-bearer in competing for long-haul business. As an example of the railroad’s attention to detail, in summer months the train slowed at Stryker, Mont., each day so the telegraph operator there could hand up a package of freshly caught mountain trout to dining-car employees, who quickly prepared them for dinner patrons.

I'm confused. ;) The article posted at the top states the Empire Builder began on June 11, 1929. That either makes it only 74 years old or I've fallen asleep for a year and it's really 2004. :lol:

seajay

Seajay---a good math point. I have tried to find other websites which would verify the first run date of EB and did not find any. I can check it at home.

I've also enjoyed the humor on these two posts, this one, and the trivia question.

But, besides all that, one thing for sure the EB is one of our finer trains,now and in the past. Possilby my favorite all time sleeping car attendant was on a EB trip from Portland to CHI a few years years ago.

EB was not surrounded by the mystique which always surrounded the 20th Century Ltd, the Broadway and the Super Chief. Nor the fame of the CZ. But, once you get those out of the way, it is fair game for probably within the top five long distance trains.

Once it was streamlined about 1948, it got newer equipment again mid 50's. It featured both regular size dome coaches and a beautiful full length "great dome-lounge car", quite similar to a superliner lounges of today.

Its chief competitor, the North Coast Limited was just about an equally fine train. (depends on whom you ask).

I found an old cached page from the National Railroad Museum in Green Bay, Wisconsin saying that the inaugural date of the EB was June 10, 1929. Now, I won't quibble between June 10th and 11th but it looks to me like we're celebrating the diamond anniversary about a year early.

What the heck, let's make it a year long celebration!

:)

seajay

The Empire Builder, both past and present, continues to be one of my favorite trains. I have been on the entire route (as it is presently) and have enjoyed it. Glacier National Park is one of the most beautiful areas in the world. Many people find the plains boring, but they do have an aura have their own, I think, especially where a railroad runs through it. One an see why Montana is often called "Big Sky Country."

I hope the Builder lives for at least another 75 years.

Here's the way people may be thinking about it, the EB is now in its 75th year of operation. Instead of the physical anniversary we're celebrating the year.

The Following is from the June 16 Trains Newswire:

Correction on GN “Empire Builder” item
The BNSF news item in last Thursday’s Trains News Wire regarding the 75th anniversary of Great Northern’s “Empire Builder” was in error, admits BNSF. This year is its 74th anniversary; next year is the train’s diamond anniversary.
So it looks like next year will be a big year for railfanning, as the Silver Meteor turns 75 on February 2.

Bill Haithcoat said:
Actually, Viewliner, I think that the Silver Meteor will turn 65 next year. He is a 1939 baby, not a 1929,I do believe. .
Oops, even so, its still of significance next year. I did the math wrong.

How's this for math---that will be 140 years when you add SM and EB together.....140 years of largely top-notch service!! A milestone year, to be sure.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back