Empire Builder discussion

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I think they may be over the late notice, based on the posts on the California Zephyr Discussion thread.

They were giving full refunds to those who got downgraded that asked for them.
Got it. I added to my last post, does this happen on the Coast Starlight as well?

Got it. I added to my last post, does this happen on the Coast Starlight as well?
The trains that got hit last year were the Builder, the California Zephyr and the Southwest Chief. The Sunset was already down to minimum, so there was nothing left to pull.

The Coast Starlight did not get hit with removing cars with sold inventory in 2022, but I do not consider any train immune until they have re-established a track record of being able to operate what they've sold.

On the Eastbound EB (departed Seattle 2/12) in coach, and no Cafe/Lounge is a huge bummer. They are providing some snacks from the dining car at least.

I'm on a big USA Pass trip and this is the first real drag in all the LD routes so far.

Edit: Hilarious. Just as I get done complaining they brought Pizza Hut on board for everyone in Coach to have 2 slices on the house. Ok Amtrak. Not bad.

Edit 2: Stew! It happened! Heard about this possibility, but didn't think it would be likely on my journey. Stew for a late dinner for coach.

Last edited:
I'm on #8 of 2/19 now, just left Whitefish. Alls well except hour late. Attendant says this trainsets/crew as #7 return will end at MSP because of impending weather (big snowstorm) so pre-emptive cancellation.

On the Eastbound EB (departed Seattle 2/12) in coach, and no Cafe/Lounge is a huge bummer. They are providing some snacks from the dining car at least.

I'm on a big USA Pass trip and this is the first real drag in all the LD routes so far.

Edit: Hilarious. Just as I get done complaining they brought Pizza Hut on board for everyone in Coach to have 2 slices on the house. Ok Amtrak. Not bad.

Edit 2: Stew! It happened! Heard about this possibility, but didn't think it would be likely on my journey. Stew for a late dinner for coach.
Also had no cafe car on #8 of Jan 20 when I went to Whitefish last month. Story was a fire on the cafe before #28 left Portland. Good comps out of dining car though, so I didn't mind.

WEATHER! Frigid temps and snow. Plus I read there's a threat of avalanches.

7/27(19) was stopped in Glasgow, MT and 8/28(19) met up with them and connected to them to pull them back to Chicago. Buses were provided for 7/27 passengers who were getting on between Spokane and Portland and between Spokane and Seattle.

7/27(19) was stopped in Glasgow, MT and 8/28(19) met up with them and connected to them to pull them back to Chicago. Buses were provided for 7/27 passengers who were getting on between Spokane and Portland and between Spokane and Seattle.
Thank you for the info. It would be nice if Amtrak posted something similar on its app and web site. They haven't even posted it on alerts as far as I can tell.

An actual avalanche has apparently happened blocking the line somewhere in Marias Pass.

Also the originally advertised stub train between CHI and MSP has now been bustituted in its entirety due to unavailability of serviceable equipment to assign to it according to a CNOC alert posted on trainorders.com.

Can anyone accurately predict the weather that far in advance?
The Weather Channel gives 14 day forecasts. Of course,you just get a general idea of weather patterns that far in advance. I will be on 7 March 6 from Chi to Sea. Weather for the first week of March on that route seems to be moderating but anything can happen,especially in the winter. If the weather turns miserable again I hope I can be rerouted on the Zephyr Chief and Starlight,in my original accommodation ,a roomette and at no additional cost.

The Weather Channel gives 14 day forecasts. Of course,you just get a general idea of weather patterns that far in advance. I will be on 7 March 6 from Chi to Sea. Weather for the first week of March on that route seems to be moderating but anything can happen,especially in the winter. If the weather turns miserable again I hope I can be rerouted on the Zephyr Chief and Starlight,in my original accommodation ,a roomette and at no additional cost.
When I have something coming up that weather will affect I will start checking the forecast 10 days out knowing that things will most likely change. I’ve been lucky many times that a potentially rainy forecasted day will end up being only cloudy or even sunny by a day or two out. I’m doing a day trip tomorrow and as I recall there was a chance of rain when I first checked. Now I’m anti paying a sunny 70+ day. :) (it was in the 40’s today where I live).

When I have something coming up that weather will affect I will start checking the forecast 10 days out knowing that things will most likely change. I’ve been lucky many times that a potentially rainy forecasted day will end up being only cloudy or even sunny by a day or two out. I’m doing a day trip tomorrow and as I recall there was a chance of rain when I first checked. Now I’m anti paying a sunny 70+ day. :) (it was in the 40’s today where I live).
Me too. It's pretty much meaningless until you get within a week, but it's fun to check and watch it change. And it helps build the anticipation.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back