Empire Builder discussion

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Let us know what transpires for those that are on the train or affected by this inclement weather situation.…. Thanks in advance! Good Luck!

Makes wonder why they didn't stop the trains closer together and bridge. Both Williston and Havre are staffed. Must have been a helluva long washout😉

There are places to wye the train.
But Minot is the crew change point -- and I would guess they didn't want to send a Minot crew westward, have them die in the middle of nowhere, and need to bring out a van with a second crew to go back east.

What did they do, and what's up with the mudslide?
The “ mudslide “ was actually an unusually heavy rainfall onto tracks in the middle of a giant field. The ground here is supersaturated, and most of the fields have large “lakes” and ponds in them. It wasn’t so much a Mudslide as a lake developing so deep around and on the track that everything sort of dissolved.

I have been told there is a video on YouTube, but I haven’t come up with the correct wording to find it and I can’t bear to see more train wrecks come up.

How did Amtrak handle the passengers in Shelby, for the train cancelled - your original train? Did they overnight folks in Shelby? Did the train set hold in Shelby? Is your original train consist tacked on to todays’s eastbound consist? Curious as to how Amtrak handled this, as the Empire Builders were terminated/cancelled in Shelby and Minot yesterday, Saturday, 6/3…

They did overnight us at a Comfort Inn and gave us a Large Subway sandwich. They shuttled us there and back to the station this morning, BUT…

We are now in Wolf Point Montana.. because a Trailer on a Semi-Truck apparently tore up a crossing 40 miles from here. We’ve been here an hour and we’re originally told it would be an hour and a half, so we shall see.

I’m starting to think I’m destined to live in Montana! I feel very far away from Central Maine!

My wife and I are taking the Empire Builder from Portland to East Glacier, Montana, on June 14th. I've been a passenger on the EB several times before and have always been intrigued by the historic Glacier Park Lodge, which the train stops right in front of. We will stay there several nights before taking the train to Leavenworth, Washington. Has anyone ever stayed at the Glacier Park Lodge and might share suggestions on things to do? I think the Going to the Sun highway is still closed due to snow right now, so I guess that's out. Any suggestions will be appreciated ...

Looks now like EB that departed Chicago this afternoon has been "disrupted" and won't visit Minnesota or points West

My wife and I are taking the Empire Builder from Portland to East Glacier, Montana, on June 14th. I've been a passenger on the EB several times before and have always been intrigued by the historic Glacier Park Lodge, which the train stops right in front of. We will stay there several nights before taking the train to Leavenworth, Washington. Has anyone ever stayed at the Glacier Park Lodge and might share suggestions on things to do? I think the Going to the Sun highway is still closed due to snow right now, so I guess that's out. Any suggestions will be appreciated ...

The east side of Glacier is pretty and has several large lakes (Lower Medicine, Upper and Lower St. Mary, and Sherburne) with mountain backdrops. The Many Glacier Hotel is at the head of the last, at the end of a side road, in a bowl surrounded on all sides. I expect there are tour bus options to see all of these, even if you have no car.
Also some number of short hikes, but the best of these will start from near one of those lakes in the park, not from the lodge.

Northwest Montana had a very dry winter (unlike southern Montana around Yellowstone, which had a very wet one.) The plowing on Going-to-the-Sun has gone fast. NPS has made no official announcement, but the word on the street is that it will open sometime in the next week. So there is a decent chance you will be offered a tour all the way across.

Also, I have to ask, re Leavenworth: are you by any chance going to the accordion festival, the 22nd to 25th? (I am!)

We are going to East Glacier in August from Portland and have 2 days that we need to fill with activities. Without a vehicle, (and no rental cars available at the area around glacier park lodge) we are not finding much. I know there is a paid shuttle, but even the NPS park rangers aren’t hopeful about connections in August (taking paid shuttle to connect to free NPS shuttle) with the timing/crowds—and getter back to the lodge. We really need a rental car.

We are going to East Glacier in August from Portland and have 2 days that we need to fill with activities. Without a vehicle, (and no rental cars available at the area around glacier park lodge) we are not finding much. I know there is a paid shuttle, but even the NPS park rangers aren’t hopeful about connections in August (taking paid shuttle to connect to free NPS shuttle) with the timing/crowds—and getter back to the lodge. We really need a rental car.
There used to be rental cars at East Glacier available at Brownie's Hostel. I don't know if that is still the case or not.

East Glacier is outside the park and is some distance from the park. I suggest that you look at the shuttles and bus tours available from Xanterra and Pursuit.

If you are in East Glacier and are without a car, you are pretty much going to have to use a paid bus tour or paid shuttle to access any part of the park and although it is an expense, they can be quite nice.

The other option is to stay on the west side where there are numerous options for rental cars. You can detrain at Whitefish and rent a car there or at Glacier Park airport. Then you can drive to East Glacier or stay on the west side. Don't forget that you may need a vehicle reservation to enter the park. Information about vehicle reservations would be on the park website.

Hope you have a great trip and will post a report.

Well, I’m on day 6 of my Adventure of a Trip from Seattle to Bangor, ME ( Cue Roger Miller’s “King of the Road”.)
Left Seattle Friday afternoon.
Arrived in Shelby, Montana Saturday about 11
Left Shelby Sunday at 1:30
We were delayed for over an hour for a torn up crossing, another hour for “ Medical Incident on a track. Many 1/2 hour or more delays for freight having to go by. All in all 10 hours late to Chicago.
We got to Chicago at 3 AM Tuesday.
Shuttled us to a nice hotel, I showered was in bed by 5am and we had a late check out at 1PM
Shuttle to Union Station.
Train wasn’t leaving til 9 so I did some steps in Chicago, after remembering I had a Lounge Pass because of my Rewards Card. I stowed my suitcase 🧳 and went wandering.
Amtrak had given us $40 In vouchers to use in the food court, so I got lunch .
Before the train left I got a sandwich and stocked up on drinks.

I had some very disrespectful encounters with employees but I’m going to write them off to the craziness of all of us displaced passengers. I was accused of being Stupid by a conductor as I boarded the train. And I’d like to give him a lesson on that, but I’ll let it be.

I’m now East of Buffalo and when we get to Albany at 3 I’ll get on a bus to South Station. Then a Bus to Bangor, but none are available til tomorrow morning. Fingers crossed I’ll be in Bangor by noon .,,we shall see.”

Also, I have to ask, re Leavenworth: are you by any chance going to the accordion festival, the 22nd to 25th? (I am!)

Unfortunately, I found out about the accordion festival AFTER I had made all my reservations for stops on the trip, of which there are five. I wasn't able to rearrange things, so we are departing Leavenworth one day before the festival begins. Too bad -- it would have been fun. This is my first visit to Leavenworth -- if my wife and I like it, we will be back! Maybe next year we will visit the accordion festival ....

I know there is a paid shuttle, but even the NPS park rangers aren’t hopeful about connections in August (taking paid shuttle to connect to free NPS shuttle) with the timing/crowds—and getter back to the lodge.

Xanterra would much rather see you pay the big money to ride their red-bus tour all the way across the park, than only pay for a ride to St Mary and then use the free shuttle. I think they quite deliberately don't help you make this connection.

Unfortunately, I found out about the accordion festival AFTER I had made all my reservations for stops on the trip, of which there are five. I wasn't able to rearrange things, so we are departing Leavenworth one day before the festival begins. Too bad -- it would have been fun. This is my first visit to Leavenworth -- if my wife and I like it, we will be back! Maybe next year we will visit the accordion festival ....

It's usually the 3rd weekend of June but moved a week later for some reason this year. If music is your thing, they also have one of the very few alphorn clubs in North America (but you may miss them too: they play Saturday evenings all summer.)

No matter what week you go there will be SOMEthing going on. It's always a fun friendly town, easy to walk around town but a little tricky to find parking sometimes. A semi-permanent street arts festival in the city park. And the scenery west and north of town is remarkably Alpine (you'll only get a sneak peek at that from town without a car.)
Tourist trap prices of course but that's the same as every other resort town. When I go by car, I stay in Wenatchee for half as much per night and drive up to Leavenworth for the day.

Let us know what transpires for those that are on the train or affected by this inclement weather situation.…. Thanks in advance! Good Luck!
Can anyone tell me why a roomette on the EB from PDX to CHI (senior rate) is showing $1249 no matter what date I enter? I am thinking of leaving SLO (where i live) to go to Portland, then Chicago, then Glenwood Springs, then Emeryville. The other legs change price depending on the date, but not the PDX to CHI leg. Also, how far ahead will the prices be best?

If fares don't change no matter what date you select it's simply because Amtrak hasn't seen fit to offer any other fares for those dates. The route with fares that change is simply because Amtrak has seen fit to change them. Why? Here other are invited to step in and offer their reasons.

As far as how far ahead fares will be their best - uh - er - could be any time or could be never. Some think they'll drop a week or two before the travel date. But I've seen fares stay high all the way from 11 months out to the day of travel.

My personal method is to book and pay for a sleeper as soon as I'm sure of the travel date - just to make sure I get the sleeper I want. Then I keep checking what fare is offered for that same trip and if the fare drops ask AGR to modify your ticket for the lower fare. If the fare doesn't drop either go, change or cancel.

Can anyone tell me why a roomette on the EB from PDX to CHI (senior rate) is showing $1249 no matter what date I enter? I am thinking of leaving SLO (where i live) to go to Portland, then Chicago, then Glenwood Springs, then Emeryville. The other legs change price depending on the date, but not the PDX to CHI leg. Also, how far ahead will the prices be best?
Yeah I am planning on taking a trip on the builder this summer, and noticed that most of the fares are at the 1098, 1279 or 1503 buckets. Back when I was booking, there would be a few in the 949 bucket, and maybe one or two days in the month in lower ones, but now that we are closer to departure it is going to be pretty consistantly high bucket except for 'last minute' departures.

I have noticed they have been a lot more aggressive with their pricing on the Builder and Zephyr. The lower buckets are out there, but usually not until closer to departure.

Not sure when you are looking to travel, but I did a very quick search and noticed there is a $921 senior fare available on 28 PDX-CHI on August 2.

From Seattle to Chicago there is a $588 one person roomette fare on June 8 9 and 10th in case anyone can swing it. The EB is the only route with low buckets so close to departure date. I am sure those three dates were $1259 when first added eleven months ago.

They change based on yield management's evaluation of demand, actual and projected. Yield management can evaluate and potentially reallocate at any time.

Almost invariably they'll be in the higher buckets when released to inventory 11 months before departure. My experience is they'll stay there until about roughly 6 months before departure, then sometime between 4 and 6 months before departure, they'll evaluate and may (not will) reallocate some inventory into lower buckets. The Builder is a train I ride fairly regularly and it does appear to follow that pattern.

There is no set answer. The best advice is to check very regularly starting about 6 months before departure and work in a travel window and be flexible on travel days within a preferred travel window. If you want to lock down earlier and can afford to hand over the money for high bucket fares, you can book, then monitor for drops and call to get the difference refunded if some show up. Amtrak has traditionally been willing to do this. Personally, I am not sure how long they'll continue to adhere to this unpublished policy, though.

Last edited:
In early August I'll be doing the Empire Builder 27 to Coast Starlight 11 connection at Portland. Looking at the last 60 days, on days the EB operated it made the connection all but twice. In the event we do miss the connection, I'm wondering if Amtrak has still been busing connecting passenger from Pasco to Klamath Falls like they used to or do they overnight you in Portland?

In early August I'll be doing the Empire Builder 27 to Coast Starlight 11 connection at Portland. Looking at the last 60 days, on days the EB operated it made the connection all but twice. In the event we do miss the connection, I'm wondering if Amtrak has still been busing connecting passenger from Pasco to Klamath Falls like they used to or do they overnight you in Portland?
It depends. If the train becomes severely late in California and they can arrange a bus charter, they'll do the K Falls-Pasco bus bridge. If it becomes severely late after K Falls, say on Willamette Pass, or they cannot arrange a charter, they'll overnight you in Portland.

It is the same as it always has been, with the added variable that it has gotten more difficult to arrange last minute bus charters since COVID, so the odds of a layover versus a bus bridge have gone up.

It depends. If the train becomes severely late in California and they can arrange a bus charter, they'll do the K Falls-Pasco bus bridge. If it becomes severely late after K Falls, say on Willamette Pass, or they cannot arrange a charter, they'll overnight you in Portland.

It is the same as it always has been, with the added variable that it has gotten more difficult to arrange last minute bus charters since COVID, so the odds of a layover versus a bus bridge have gone up.
I think he's going the other way, from the Builder to the Coast Starlight.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back