Empire Builder holiday consist

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

merkelman06

Train Attendant
I am booked on a round trip on the empire builder the week between Christmas and New Years. I was originally booked in cars 0730/0830. I just received a new ticket in cars 0731/0831. Wonder if they are removing the 30 car or why would they move me? No reason was given in the email with the new e ticket, nor did the phone rep have an answer.

Last edited by a moderator:
I am booked on a round trip on the empire builder the week between Christmas and New Years. I was originally booked in cars 0730/0830. I just received a new ticket in cars 0731/0831. Wonder if they are removing the 30 car or why would they move me? No reason was given in the email with the new e ticket, nor did the phone rep have an answer.
Just a guess. Sounds like they've added an extra sleeper.

I'm not familiar with the consist of the Builder. Is the 0730/0830 car closest to the diner?
Yes, the 0730/0830 car is immediately in front of the diner. The 0731/0831 car is ahead of the 0730/0830.

The 2730/2830 sleeper is at the rear of the consist.

I'm not familiar with the consist of the Builder. Is the 0730/0830 car closest to the diner?
Yes, the 0730/0830 car is immediately in front of the diner. The 0731/0831 car is ahead of the 0730/0830.

The 2730/2830 sleeper is at the rear of the consist.
Hmmm. It would make sense to move the people in the xx31 sleeper to the xx30 sleeper, but I don't know why they'd do it the other way around.
default_blink.png

Yes, the 0730/0830 car is immediately in front of the diner. The 0731/0831 car is ahead of the 0730/0830.The 2730/2830 sleeper is at the rear of the consist.
Hmmm. It would make sense to move the people in the xx31 sleeper to the xx30 sleeper, but I don't know why they'd do it the other way around.
default_blink.png
Group reservation?

Does not have to be a group reservation. Simple a family booking multiple rooms can bump you to a different car. Book a deluxe bedroom (2 bedrooms with the sliding door open) can result in a bump. Booking multiple roomettes in a single car can result in a bump.

In short nothing to stress about. When they call you and tell you your train is canceled. Then you stress.

Wait, so someone can be bumped to another room or another car, just so that some other passengers can be in the same car or have rooms next to each other? I feel like the latter group should just have to put up with being in non-adjacent rooms. JMO.

Wait, so someone can be bumped to another room or another car, just so that some other passengers can be in the same car or have rooms next to each other? I feel like the latter group should just have to put up with being in non-adjacent rooms. JMO.
I'll have to agree with this. Someone that has booked an accommodation well in advance, partially to get the one desired, should not ever be 'bumped' by another passenger.

The only acceptable exception, would be the 'H' type room, by someone that needed it, if the original person did not...

I'll have to agree with this. Someone that has booked an accommodation well in advance, partially to get the one desired, should not ever be 'bumped' by another passenger.

The only acceptable exception, would be the 'H' type room, by someone that needed it, if the original person did not...
If you're not disabled, you actually can't book the H room in advance anyway. It goes up for grabs to regular passengers 48 hours before departure. If you are disabled, it's available all along for the same price as a roomette.

I have bump people out of a bedroom, in order to fit my order. I have not done so for roomettes, but my request for three roomettes in the same car, with two across from each other has been filled.

Why do I know that I have bump people from a bedroom? They stop by and ask why? There was no issues other than curious. This deluxe bedroom was book about 5 months in advance. No we did not get the sleeper closest to the dining car, not that I had requested it.

The line codes are the same on every train XX30 is always the sleeper closest to the diner, XX40 will be the dorm, and then it's XX10 for the closest coach I believe? Which would also lead me to think XX20 would be business class.

The line codes are the same on every train XX30 is always the sleeper closest to the diner,
Well not on every train. On the Silvers, XX10 is closest to the diner (or cafe car in the case of the Star) and XX11 is closest on the LSL. Are you just talking about Superliner LD trains?

Back