Empire Builder Roomette for 6'7" adult

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nleprohn

Train Attendant
Traveling SEA to CHI with my son. He's 6'7" (28 yo) and I'm 6'1" (62 yo). I've done the roomette on the Coast Starlight and slept fine in lower berth. Will he fit in either? I can manage to climb to upper if needed.

I noticed that my reservations shows me assigned to a car and room already. Do I want to request an upper level room? is 14 a lower level room?

thanks - I've ridden the CS many times but ot the EB and I just discovered this forum. So helpful!

The EB and CS have the same equipment (rail cars), so you will be fine. I don't know the dimensions of the roomette so I can't be sure if he will be fine. I know other members do have them though.

Roomette 14 is a lower level roomette, I believe roomettes are the same, despite being on the upper or lower level. The lower one might have a little bit more headroom, but I don't know.

Heres a car diagram for you. 1623622670989.png

And for future reference, the EB, CS, CZ, SWC, SL, TE, CONO, AT, and CL all use Superliners. Other LD trains use Viewliners.

The roomettes on the lower level have the same headroom in the upper berth as those on the upper level on the inside. The difference is the height is uniform all the across, since the ceiling doesn't curve, reflecting the car body curve, like they do on the upper level.

Thanks everyone. Given the diagram, it looks like we are assigned a roomette on the lower level. Can I call amtrak and get one upstairs?

If you call make sure you get an agent who can "modify" an assignment, not cancel and rebook, unless a lower bucket has opened back up. You may need to call back to get a different agent or ask for a supervisor, many times they will try and tell you it will cost more, that should not be the case.

If you call make sure you get an agent who can "modify" an assignment, not cancel and rebook, unless a lower bucket has opened back up. You may need to call back to get a different agent or ask for a supervisor, many times they will try and tell you it will cost more, that should not be the case.
Thanks for the advice. I'll try that.

6'5" here. I've tried both upper and lower berths. The lower works for me, and the upper just barely works. I think he will be okay on the lower.

The bed is one thing, 6’7 I guess it’s doable for a young person. But, how about the rest of the trip. 6’1 sitting across from 6’7 at that table in a roomette is going to be a tangle of limbs. Wish I was 6’7.😀

I'm 6'7 on the dot and haven't had any problems with the lower or upper berth. On the upper berth, laying flat on my back with my feet against one wall, I could get my fingers in between my head and the other wall. It was tight, but doable for that length of trip.

I do agree with Anumberone though, it's gets a little interesting sitting across from each other.

The bed is one thing, 6’7 I guess it’s doable for a young person. But, how about the rest of the trip. 6’1 sitting across from 6’7 at that table in a roomette is going to be a tangle of limbs. Wish I was 6’7.😀
Hasn't thought of that. But we are used to the tangling of limbs. I think we'll manage that part. Gin always helps. Have a lovely hotel room booked in Chicago. With queen beds for each of us.

Thanks to all of you. Tried to call today to change to upper level (we were assigned 14) and waited for a call back for over an hour. Decided to try the"chat" feature. In 5 minutes I got the reservation modified to an upper level roomette (10). My son will be so happy. His first trip to Chicago, and his first time in a sleeper car. We are both behind excited.

Back