Empire Builder Seattle Turn

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
True. But those Metra trains are BNSF trains operated by BNSF.
But we don't count Metrolink trains as Amtrak, do we? They are operated by Amtrak, but we call them Metrolink since they are using different and equipment and have no other similarities.

The Chicago wye is actually quite busy. The Metra BNSF line uses the north leg of the wye, and BNSF Freights, and Amtrak use the south leg. I believe there might be some other class ones using the south leg of the wye. I know NS has a customer inside the Amtrak yard that gets an occasional local as well.

I mean in theory if they wanted to make the 27/28 turn easier there is a way that involves no backup moves. If you would drop down from Vancouver into Albina Yard you could actually come across the Steel Bridge and be turned around. Now that being said Albina Yard doesn't have a passenger bypass track like the BNSF Portland Yard.

The New Orleans wye is inside the shop complex.

The New Orleans wye is inside the shop complex.
Yeah. It is right by the Loco Shop just to the west of it. Because the Maintenance Shop is between the Loco Shop and the Station it takes less movement to turn the train on the Wye on the way in that to do the turning after arrival in the station.

But we don't count Metrolink trains as Amtrak, do we? They are operated by Amtrak, but we call them Metrolink since they are using different and equipment and have no other similarities.

Many of the BNSF commuter trains have equipment that carries the BNSF logo.

Many of the BNSF commuter trains have equipment that carries the BNSF logo.
I would assume that means that those particular units may be owned by BNSF. Anyway, in stark contrast to the UP relating to its Metra trains, the BNSF seems to "take ownership" of its Metra trains...kind of reminds me of how the D&H did, with the early Adirondack....:cool:

Yeah. It is right by the Loco Shop just to the west of it. Because the Maintenance Shop is between the Loco Shop and the Station it takes less movement to turn the train on the Wye on the way in that to do the turning after arrival in the station.
Thanks for the clarification

Back on to the topic of the Empire Builder Turn. Today's Westbound arrived at the departure time of the Eastbound. The Eastbound left 20 minutes late. So there was an extra set, probably for the cold weather.

Back