Empire Builder stops and times

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We will be riding the Empire Builder out of Chicago. When we did this before, a few years ago, I found a site that listed all the stops and their approximate arrival times and length of stay. I can't find it this time. Can someone help? Also, any information about the immediate area around the stop would be helpful. Thank you.

We will be riding the Empire Builder out of Chicago. When we did this before, a few years ago, I found a site that listed all the stops and their approximate arrival times and length of stay. I can't find it this time. Can someone help? Also, any information about the immediate area around the stop would be helpful. Thank you.
Go to the Empire Builder section on Amtrak's website. Scroll and look for the schedules. They are there. I do miss the days when an individual timetable was available in every sleeper room. Seems like such a simple thing. Why did Amtrak stop it? It was nice to have it as a guide. These days I just check the app while traveling and see how late we are.

Sidney, the schedules used to be on a page that was two page clicks in from the Amtrak websites home page, but I am not sure that any of them are there any longer. And when you try to get through the "schedule" it will only let you look at a quarter of the stops at a time. You ask for ten more, and they subtract the first ten. It is beyond frustrating. When I finally hunt down the Empire Builder by looking at the Midwest train tab, it finally shows me some info about the EB, and it has a map tab, but the old schedule tab is missing for the EB. I believe some trains still have the schedule tab but some do not.
Go to the Empire Builder section on Amtrak's website. Scroll and look for the schedules. They are there. I do miss the days when an individual timetable was available in every sleeper room. Seems like such a simple thing. Why did Amtrak stop it? It was nice to have it as a guide. These days I just check the app while traveling and see how late we are.
Image 8-30-21 at 10.56 AM.jpgImage 8-30-21 at 10.56 AM.jpg

I have some pdf schedules on my computer but did not have the Empire Builder. However, I found an old (2016) system timetable and an old Empire Builder Route Guide.

Attachments

• Amtrak System-Timetable-090916.pdf
    19.5 MB · Views: 8
  • Route Guide Empire Builder.pdf
    312.7 KB · Views: 6
Here is a list of stops with dwell times ("Smoke/Stretch Stops"):

Wishram, WA (Portland branch only)*

Pasco, WA (Portland branch only)*

Wenatchee, WA (Seattle branch only)

Spokane, WA

Whitefish, MT

Shelby, MT

Havre, MT

Williston, ND

Minot, ND*

St. Paul/Minneapolis, MN

Winona, MN

Milwaukee, WI (no smoking)

I have some pdf schedules on my computer but did not have the Empire Builder. However, I found an old (2016) system timetable and an old Empire Builder Route Guide.
Thank you so much! This was the same year we traveled on the EB, and I remember this brochure! I loved it! I plan on printing this off as reference!

Here is a list of stops with dwell times ("Smoke/Stretch Stops"):

Wishram, WA (Portland branch only)*

Pasco, WA (Portland branch only)*

Wenatchee, WA (Seattle branch only)

Spokane, WA

Whitefish, MT

Shelby, MT

Havre, MT

Williston, ND

Minot, ND*

St. Paul/Minneapolis, MN

Winona, MN

Milwaukee, WI (no smoking)
Thanks! Do you mean each of these stops will be a little longer? Usually, how long are the stretch/smoke breaks (and I understand it depends on how the schedule is going)?

Those are the stops where passengers are allowed to deboard and walk around. The amount of time varies. Whitefish and Minot are service stops and are long. They'll be there at least 10-15 minutes even if the train is running late. Others, like Winona and Williston are pretty short, just a few minutes.

Do not detrain at any stop not announced as a fresh air stop. Other stops are just long enough to entrain and detrain passengers and can be as short as a minute.

https://juckins.net/amtrak_timetables/archive/home.php
Use this, it has all former schedules and the EB one.

Back