Empire Builder Summer Blues Started Early this year

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Warren B is coining $$$ on the hi-line. Between increasing Intermodal traffic, seasonal agricultural trains and increased energy movement this line is booming. I am reminded by my BNSF friends that the track upgrades for this entire region are part of a multi-year process and the fruits of their labors will not be fully appreciated until all of the work is completed. BNSF is actually being inhibited from increasing their own movements as much as they would like due to these efforts. Meanwhile we will just have to deal with sometimes excessive delays (i.e. 6-9 hours delays) into CHI on the eastbound trains, especially during the summer construction months, although the realized delays over the past couple weeks do not appear to be much different than the worst days of the summer, so I am beginning to think this may be more of a year around "experience" .

:-(
If, at the end of it all, Amtrak can actually increase the running speed of the Builder, then it may be worth it. But if Amtrak is constrained to the same schedule but simply running on time, I'm not sure what actual benefit this has to Amtrak (delayed a lot without a lot of benefit other than rehabbed track that Amtrak should expect from regular maintenance anyways.)

Buffet knew what he was doing when he bought BNSF, one thing he was betting on was an increase of oil and gas production from the Northern US and Canada. NS has been picking up gas cars that have been fracked out of Ohio, the gas ends up in Canada to be used in the processing of tar sands.

I'll be boarding the EB in Chicago on 11/11 heading for Portland (after having taken the Lakeshore Limited from Boston). It will be interesting (to say the least) to find out just how late we arrive.

I have to be at my nephew's wedding on the 16th... so if we are 5 days late, I'm in trouble.

LOL

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back