Empire Builder Trip Report

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hepcat66

Train Attendant
Caution! I am not a writer and am not certain where to post this-perhaps a moderator can help?

Trip report for Aug 2, to Aug 13 on The Empire Builder, train 28, and 27 from Portland,OR to Wisconsin Dells,WI.

My wife and I had wanted to take another train vacation for some time, so we decided to go to my family reunion via train. My late wife, myself, and our 2 kids had taken the Empire Builder (coach) from Portland to Columbus, WI a few times, including the first train to Spokane after Mt St Helens blew up (boy was it filthy). Later I took it to Chicago on my way to my 50th graduation in Terre Haute, IN. My current wife was a railroad brat, as her father was the district claims agent for the UP, so she’s ridden many trains. This time we decided we were too old (both in our 80s) for coach so we splurged for a bedroom going out, and a roomette coming back.

We left Portland on time, on 8/2 on the #28 Empire Builder. Our first meal was a box dinner which was fine and we had no complaints. Our car attendant was Simon, who’s from Chicago. He was very helpful, cheerful, and courteous-nothing but compliments for him. The ride along the Columbia river was very scenic and pleasant as we crossed the Columbia the second time. The bridge in Pasco was impressive. It was time to hit the sack so Simon came to set up the beds and discovered there was no ladder for getting up to the upper bunk. I’m nearly 80 and admit that it was a challenge getting up there. Don’t know if my wife was more worried, or entertained. Funny thing is, when a ladder was found for the second night, I found it easier to not use it-the sink worked better. The bedroom had plenty of room and the bathroom was a definite plus-especially for old men, if you get my drift.

We got to Spokane in the very wee hours of the morning and for the most part, slept through it. Breakfast was quite good, as most of the meals were. Besides the good quality of the meals, there was the way more than adaquate amount of food. It reinforced our opinion that we Americans just eat too much. An important part of the meals is your meal mates. Because the train was sold out, there seldom were any empty seats. This meant you always had new friends to dine with. We found them all to be delightful-there’s apparently something about train travelers…. The Glacier Park area is rugged and beautiful, and the change of scenery from the mountains to the Great Plains is interesting. The Builder follows highway US 2 for hundreds of miles through MT, ND, and MN. One of the many things I like about the train, is the that you often see people’s back yards and field. They’re much more interesting than front yards because the back yards are where all the good stuff is. You know, like old cars, trucks, and farm tractors. Once you get to Minot, you drop down to Fargo, Saint Cloud, twin cities, and enter WI at La Crosse. Not much later, we reached our destination of WI Dells and a whole lot of relatives hugging and yacking. On our return trip we had a roomette which would have been way too cramped, but fortunately the roomette across the aisle had a broken upper bunk, and our wonderful car attendant “T” said we were welcome to use it for storage. Our trip back was very pleasant on train #27 and we were happy to get back home. Surprisingly, the train was pretty much on time all the way there and back. We had one, half hour or so, wait for a freight train.

Conclusions:

We really enjoyed the train, but the one large problem was the condition of our sleeper car. When entering our car, there was a strong odor of sewage. It was so bad that the unfortunate people at that end compartment had to move out, to where I don’t know. We were at the other end (the very rear of the train) so it was barely noticeable. The car attendant said they tried to fix it but were unsuccessful. Both our door and the door across the aisle from us rattled like crazy so I finally wadded up paper and jammed them into the slides so we could get a decent night’s sleep. I did overhear the staff saying that car was going to be put into the shop for repair when it got back to Chicago. Another important issue for us was the location of the cars. We were the last car of the train, so to get to the diner, we had to “walk” through our car, two coach cars, the observation car, and two more coach cars. Since the diner car isn’t used by coach passengers, why not place it right in front of the sleeper? In fact why is the diner car not available to coach passengers? Elitism? Does the diner not make money?

Lastly, I have to say that all of the crew who we talked to were helpful and just great, especially Simon and “T”, our car attendants.

Don

Caution! I am not a writer and am not certain where to post this-perhaps a moderator can help?

Trip report for Aug 2, to Aug 13 on The Empire Builder, train 28, and 27 from Portland,OR to Wisconsin Dells,WI.

My wife and I had wanted to take another train vacation for some time, so we decided to go to my family reunion via train. My late wife, myself, and our 2 kids had taken the Empire Builder (coach) from Portland to Columbus, WI a few times, including the first train to Spokane after Mt St Helens blew up (boy was it filthy). Later I took it to Chicago on my way to my 50th graduation in Terre Haute, IN. My current wife was a railroad brat, as her father was the district claims agent for the UP, so she’s ridden many trains. This time we decided we were too old (both in our 80s) for coach so we splurged for a bedroom going out, and a roomette coming back.

We left Portland on time, on 8/2 on the #28 Empire Builder. Our first meal was a box dinner which was fine and we had no complaints. Our car attendant was Simon, who’s from Chicago. He was very helpful, cheerful, and courteous-nothing but compliments for him. The ride along the Columbia river was very scenic and pleasant as we crossed the Columbia the second time. The bridge in Pasco was impressive. It was time to hit the sack so Simon came to set up the beds and discovered there was no ladder for getting up to the upper bunk. I’m nearly 80 and admit that it was a challenge getting up there. Don’t know if my wife was more worried, or entertained. Funny thing is, when a ladder was found for the second night, I found it easier to not use it-the sink worked better. The bedroom had plenty of room and the bathroom was a definite plus-especially for old men, if you get my drift.

We got to Spokane in the very wee hours of the morning and for the most part, slept through it. Breakfast was quite good, as most of the meals were. Besides the good quality of the meals, there was the way more than adaquate amount of food. It reinforced our opinion that we Americans just eat too much. An important part of the meals is your meal mates. Because the train was sold out, there seldom were any empty seats. This meant you always had new friends to dine with. We found them all to be delightful-there’s apparently something about train travelers…. The Glacier Park area is rugged and beautiful, and the change of scenery from the mountains to the Great Plains is interesting. The Builder follows highway US 2 for hundreds of miles through MT, ND, and MN. One of the many things I like about the train, is the that you often see people’s back yards and field. They’re much more interesting than front yards because the back yards are where all the good stuff is. You know, like old cars, trucks, and farm tractors. Once you get to Minot, you drop down to Fargo, Saint Cloud, twin cities, and enter WI at La Crosse. Not much later, we reached our destination of WI Dells and a whole lot of relatives hugging and yacking. On our return trip we had a roomette which would have been way too cramped, but fortunately the roomette across the aisle had a broken upper bunk, and our wonderful car attendant “T” said we were welcome to use it for storage. Our trip back was very pleasant on train #27 and we were happy to get back home. Surprisingly, the train was pretty much on time all the way there and back. We had one, half hour or so, wait for a freight train.

Conclusions:

We really enjoyed the train, but the one large problem was the condition of our sleeper car. When entering our car, there was a strong odor of sewage. It was so bad that the unfortunate people at that end compartment had to move out, to where I don’t know. We were at the other end (the very rear of the train) so it was barely noticeable. The car attendant said they tried to fix it but were unsuccessful. Both our door and the door across the aisle from us rattled like crazy so I finally wadded up paper and jammed them into the slides so we could get a decent night’s sleep. I did overhear the staff saying that car was going to be put into the shop for repair when it got back to Chicago. Another important issue for us was the location of the cars. We were the last car of the train, so to get to the diner, we had to “walk” through our car, two coach cars, the observation car, and two more coach cars. Since the diner car isn’t used by coach passengers, why not place it right in front of the sleeper? In fact why is the diner car not available to coach passengers? Elitism? Does the diner not make money?

Lastly, I have to say that all of the crew who we talked to were helpful and just great, especially Simon and “T”, our car attendants.

Don
Nice trip!😊 Thanks for sharing!

Sounds like yall had a trip like used to be common place on the Builder with Good Food,Good Crew and On Time Performance.

The Superliners are Old and have been "Ridden Hard and put up Wet",way past time for replacements for sure

A positive write-up with a happy ending, for once, good for Amtrak. Maybe things are going to start looking up - ?

"T"...that wouldn't be Tashi would it? We've had him a couple of times on the EB and had good service from him.
Just curious. Thanks and it sounds like you had a pretty good trip.

Last edited:

Conclusions:

Don
Great report! We have our first trip on the EB coming up in Oct! Myself, my wife, and our two boys (ages 9 and 11). We are very much looking forward to it. This trip will occur on our way back from San Fran after taking the SWC and CS from Chicago to get there!

Conclusions:

Don

Very enjoyable report—thank you. It brought back especially lovely memories of my EB ride along the Columbia River a few years ago.

Also, this is beautifully and clearly written — much better than some of the stuff I edited from “professional” writers during my editing career. This was a delightful read, so don’t hesitate to write more for us!

Another important issue for us was the location of the cars. We were the last car of the train, so to get to the diner, we had to “walk” through our car, two coach cars, the observation car, and two more coach cars. Since the diner car isn’t used by coach passengers, why not place it right in front of the sleeper?
Actually, it was right behind the sleepers, but the Seattle sleepers. The Portland cars are tacked on to the end of train, and since Amtrak doesn't want coach passengers walking thru sleeper cars, and coach passengers get their food in the SSL, your sleeper had to be the last car, and you unfortunately had to walk through all the coaches from both Portland and Seattle.

The Portland cars are tacked on to the end of train, and since Amtrak doesn't want coach passengers walking thru sleeper cars, and coach passengers get their food in the SSL, your sleeper had to be the last car, and you unfortunately had to walk through all the coaches from both Portland and Seattle.
Of course some of us love the placement of the Portland sleeper as the last car on the Empire Builder (and of the through Texas Eagle sleeper as the last car of the Sunset). We love the quiet and some really like the railfan window at the rear. It reminds me of where the sleepers used to be pre-Amtrak and in the early days of Amtrak. I can understand that some do not like or have difficulty with the longer walk to the dining car.

Loved your report - thanks very much for making the effort to write it. You did a very good job, and I am both amused and pleased by your opinion on the back yards (I share it!).

I get to be in the Portland sleeper on the EB, and the Boston sleeper on the LSL, both at the opposite end from the diner. I love them both, and I love the walk through the train, but I understand some folks can find it difficult. If I get to that point, I will probably ask for my meals in my room. Right now, I'm only 71, so all good for a while.

Good report.

The reason the Portland sleeper is far from the diner is because the diner is in the Seattle section and the Portland section is just tacked on behind it at Spokane. There is no shuffling cars around so sleepers are with sleepers like the old days with multiple section trains like UP's City of Everywhere.

The Portland sleeper is at the very back to prevent coach passengers from having to walk through it. The Seattle sleepers are at the very front, next to the diner.

On the trains that don't split, all sleepers are next to the diner.

Of course some of us love the placement of the Portland sleeper as the last car on the Empire Builder (and of the through Texas Eagle sleeper as the last car of the Sunset). We love the quiet and some really like the railfan window at the rear. It reminds me of where the sleepers used to be pre-Amtrak and in the early days of Amtrak. I can understand that some do not like or have difficulty with the longer walk to the dining car.
That's a good point, one I had forgotten to mention. The view out the rear is really interesting and mesmerizing. Brought to mind Ike or JFK waving to the crowds.

Loved your report - thanks very much for making the effort to write it. You did a very good job, and I am both amused and pleased by your opinion on the back yards (I share it!).

I get to be in the Portland sleeper on the EB, and the Boston sleeper on the LSL, both at the opposite end from the diner. I love them both, and I love the walk through the train, but I understand some folks can find it difficult. If I get to that point, I will probably ask for my meals in my room. Right now, I'm only 71, so all good for a while.
There is a method to this consist madness - thanks for your observation - note the SSL car goes with the Portland section but is shared
from Spokane to Chicago - rather awkward situation for the Portland sleeper customers - walk more than half the length of the train to the diner

Not to carry on too much about this subject, but the coach cars were especially interesting because the train was completely sold out (at least that's what we were told). It was quite the scene in the evening with all manner of body parts poking into the aisle as people tried to get comfortable (I can well remember those times). Add to this mix, several kids, a couple of dogs, pillows, and blankets. It made for kind of an obstacle coarse walking through, but the kids were clearly having a good time and we heard no grumpiness from the adults.

Not to carry on too much about this subject, but the coach cars were especially interesting because the train was completely sold out (at least that's what we were told). It was quite the scene in the evening with all manner of body parts poking into the aisle as people tried to get comfortable (I can well remember those times). Add to this mix, several kids, a couple of dogs, pillows, and blankets. It made for kind of an obstacle coarse walking through, but the kids were clearly having a good time and we heard no grumpiness from the adults.
My recent (August 15-17) trip experience mirrors yours. I was in the Portland sleeper and when making my way to and from the diner had to watch very carefully so as to not trip over (or worse yet, fall on!!!) youngsters who were asleep with their legs sticking out into the aisles. One young woman was trying (and I must say doing a remarkable job) trying to corral 5 kids and another young woman was trying to corral 4 and also did a good job with them.

Conclusions:

Don
The Portland cars are put on the rear. The Seattle sleeper is up front, with the dining car.
Same thing in San Antonio (got it this time!) with the 422 cars coming down from Chicago. Sleeper right up front by the engine (used to be, anyway), tail end Charlie from SA to LA. One time (alas a while ago), I had to walk through 5 coaches and the lounge car to get my provender.

The Portland cars are put on the rear. The Seattle sleeper is up front, with the dining car.
Same thing in San Antonio (got it this time!) with the 422 cars coming down from Chicago. Sleeper right up front by the engine (used to be, anyway), tail end Charlie from SA to LA. One time (alas a while ago), I had to walk through 5 coaches and the lounge car to get my provender.
Same thing on the Boston Sections of the Lake Shore Ltd (#448/449) between Albany and Chicago.

I will be on 421 later on today out of Chicago. After the car is attached to 1 it will be the last car of the train. I enjoy the walk to the sightseer and dining car. Having a SSL and traditional dining is something I always look forward to after the ride on the Eagle.

I am planning a trip on the EB next summer, Portland to Whitefish. I haven't taken train #28 in 15 years. Back then, as #28 has no dining car, they served a cold dinner plate that wasn't very good, to say the least. Has the cold plate meal improved? I am thinking it would be best to pack a sandwich and not take any chances.

Richard

I am planning a trip on the EB next summer, Portland to Whitefish. I haven't taken train #28 in 15 years. Back then, as #28 has no dining car, they served a cold dinner plate that wasn't very good, to say the least. Has the cold plate meal improved? I am thinking it would be best to pack a sandwich and not take any chances.

Richard
We just got off the #28 a few days ago. If you have sleeper accommodations they have traditional dining in the dining car and it's quite good. The meals are hot and fresh. My whole family enjoyed them; no sleeper and you can use the Cafe car. They serve hot and cold food there.

Richard
On 28 you will have the cold dinner the first night. I was on it a couple of months ago. Wasn't ideal, but I didn't think it was horrendous. I consider the scenery and the Sightseer Lounge to be adquate compensation.

I would certainly be tempted to bring along something extra to supplement the cold dinner on 28 leaving Portland. Not sure if you will have time enough to have breakfast on 28 before your arrival in Whitefish but if not (or if you wish to have a much better breakfast) go to the Buffalo Cafe in Whitefish which is walking distance from the station.

If you are taking 27 from Whitefish to Portland, I am not sure if you will be entitled to dinner after you board at Whitefish. Probably someone here in the group will know. If there is any doubt I would have dinner at one of the many restaurants in Whitefish, including the Buffalo Cafe which is now open for dinner most days as I understand.

https://buffalocafewhitefish.com/

On 28 you will have the cold dinner the first night. I was on it a couple of months ago. Wasn't ideal, but I didn't think it was horrendous. I consider the scenery and the Sightseer Lounge to be adquate compensation.
Oh crap, you are right. The memory of that terrible meal has left my brain already. It was not good. We had several options and none were great. Totally forgot about that meal as we served it in the Portland lounge while waiting since train was several hours late and we could not board yet.

Back