Empire Builder Turn-Around Trip at Seattle

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ScottC4746

OBS Chief
Thinking of doing a late spring early summer turn around trip on #7/8 CHI-Seattle-CHI. I see 7 gets in around 10 AM and 8 leaves around 4 PM. Is it safe to do an arrival departure the same day or should I overnight?

Thinking of doing a late spring early summer turn around trip on #7/8 CHI-Seattle-CHI. I see 7 gets in around 10 AM and 8 leaves around 4 PM. Is it safe to do an arrival departure the same day or should I overnight?
The only time it wouldn't be safe is if they bustitute from Spokane. Otherwise the incoming 7 becomes the same day's 8 (since there's no protect unit in Seattle) so there's no way the 7 can arrive after that day's 8 has left!

Last edited by a moderator:
I believe it's also the same crew. Just tell them your plans, but seems like a sure thing. If you are on #7 then you will make the connection to Eastbound #8. If westbound 7 is really late, and they bus westbound 7 to Seattle, try to stay with the train, or maybe stay in Spokane… The buses could pass on the highway.

As jebr said, if the EB is running too late for a timely turnaround in Seattle, #7 may be terminated in SPK and passengers bussed to SEA. Those departing from SEA would be bussed to SPK, where #8 would originate. There would be no #7 train between SPK and SEA that say, nor a #8 train between SEA and SPK that day!

The #7 set that arrives in SEA that morning departs that same afternoon as #8. Likewise the #27 set that arrives in PDX that morning departs that same afternoon as #28. Each train must be serviced and restocked in a few hours. That is why they may terminate it in SPK occasionally.

Last edited by a moderator:
I believe it's also the same crew. Just tell them your plans, but seems like a sure thing. If you are on #7 then you will make the connection to Eastbound #8. If westbound 7 is really late, and they bus westbound 7 to Seattle, try to stay with the train, or maybe stay in Spokane… The buses could pass on the highway.
The crews are differnet, if there is busing the crews ride the buses to Seattle and Portland and a differnet crew rides the buses back to Spokane for the return trip the next day.

If at all possible stay overnight in SEA and enjoy this great city!!! So much to see and do, and this would greatly mitigate any same day return issues. Great hotels close to the King St station, only a few blocks from the Wharfs and local ferries, which can take you to the nearby islands, light rail to most of Seattle's high points is only 5 minute walk from the Amtrak station!

:))

Yes - Seattle is a true destination. No wasted time there...

I really love the Islands and the ferry system. Like riding trains on water...

Or at least - plan the trip with a night in Seattle, and if all goes well, and there are no big delays… then call Amtrak or AGR and see if you could change your departure to be that same day you arrive in Seattle. If it is not possible, then spend a night in Seattle - which would be really nice, since you would get the better part of two days to travel about the area.

If you happen to stay overnight, check to see if there is anything of interest at "Jazz Alley". I took in a Chuck Mangione performance my first time thru Seattle. A nice dinner club! (at least for me)

Have Fun

RF

Perhaps ride #27 down to Portland and then shoot up to Seattle on a Cascades train? Spend the night and next day in Seattle and leave on #8 back to points east. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back