Empire Builder views

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

NomDePlume

Train Attendant
We're going round trip, which side has the best views and best photo ops? What are some great places for scenic views/photos along the way?

The Sightseer Lounge has the best views - you can see out both sides!
smile.gif

If I remember correctly, you're going from Chicago to Seattle on the EB. Heading westbound, you will be passing thru Glacier National Park (area) probably in darkness!
sad.gif
But the next morning you will be along Puget Sound (right side) prior to arrival in Seattle!
smile.gif
Heading eastbound, you will be along Puget Sound around sunset (left side) and early the next morning you will pass thru the park area in daylight (left side)!
smile.gif

There are beautiful views on both sides of the train. I agree with The Traveler to sit in the Lounge car so that you can see both sides. You can read some trip reports here, some of which link to photos or include photos, for particular highlights of the Empire Builder. I happen to be one of those who love the prairies of Eastern Montana and the Rockies in Glacier. I also enjoyed running along the Mississippi in Minnesota.

As you go between LaCrosse, WI. and Minneapolis / St.Paul, make certain you are on "river side" of the train or in the sightseer lounge. If it's wintertime and the leaves are off the trees, it's especially good for sighting eagles and other waterfowl on the Mississippi.

Going past Glacier Park heading westbound, you'll want to be on the north side of the train at East Glacier (to see the hotel), and then stay on the north side to near the pass. Descending the pass, the views will be on the south side until the train crosses the Middle Fork of the Flathead a few miles before Essex. From that point to West Glacier, the views will be on the north side again.

Outside of Glacier, the views to the south are going to be a little more interesting much of the way, because most of the depot buildings are on the south side of the track.

I had to reread your first post to make sure on this, but since you are traveling in summer, if the train is on time, westbound you should see a good portion of the Mississippi in some daylight. Eastbound it is all in daylight. As others have said, the sightseer lounge is best; you can see on both sides! Westbounkd the river will be on your right. And you should see virtually all of Glacier westbound in daylight; eastbound it will be in daylight. Either side, to me, is very scenic. Westbound from Spokane, while the Eastern Washington scenery, once daylight occurs, is nothing to write home about (I live in Eastern Washington so can freely admit it :lol: ) the Columbia River is scenic. Westbound, it's to your left. It will be near sunset eastbound along the Columbia, but still will be in daylight. The Washington Cascades are equally scenic on either side of the train (well, except inside the Cascade Tunnel! :lol: ) and will be in daylight both directions. And, westbound, you will want to be on the right side of the train for Puget Sound. Eastbound, there will still be plenty of daylight along the Sound, and in fact past the Columbia if the train is on time. Note: There is no sightseer lounge between Spokane and Seattle.

The way to go on the EB is East if you ask me. You can see glacier national park in daylight!
I prefer my way. take the EB west and spend 4 whole days in East Glacier then fly home, that way you can really see the park!

Don't be jealous,,, headed on the EB to Glacier this August for six glorious days .. the weird thing is i have to go back to E. Glacier from Apgar to drop the car,,, oh well I will figure out some way to suffer the drive through Marias pass...

Glacier Park Int'l (FCA) is about 90 minutes from East Glacier and is indeed the closest airport. It is well served in the summer by Delta, Alaska?Horizon, United and Allegiant.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back