Empire Builder - which one?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
In June we will be taking the Empire Builder to Chicago from either Portland or Seattle. Which one is the most interesting from a scenery, service, and railfan point of view?

We have taken both routes west and so are familiar with the route, but things do look different going in the other direction! We know the Portland section has only a SSL, but that would be nice for river views. We were OK with the continental breakfast served westbound. The diner on the Seattle section would be nice, but not so great for viewing. Both origin stations are interesting as are the cities. I don't care for walking through the coaches on the Portland section, but having the rear window access on its sleeper is a real plus. So maybe we should just flip a coin?

In the Seattle section (which I take a lot), you are pretty much stuck in your room other than during dinner service on the first evening. They do not leave some of the tables open for lounge type seating. They set up one table on the coach end of the diner as the place they sell cafe items for take out. Stevens Pass is beautiful and interesting, and of course you have the 8 mile long Cascade Tunnel. The Columbia River Gorge on the Portland section is beautiful, too. I am kind of stuck with the Seattle section because of where I live, if I had a choice I'd take the Portland section because I would rather have the SSL that evening than the diner and the scenary is great, though different, on either route.

Last edited by a moderator:
The view of the Columbia headine East on #28 is nice and so is the Box Dinner served to Sleeping Car Passengers.

From Seattle, you can't beat the trip up Puget sound, through the Cascades to the Cascade Tunnel, and as you said, Dinner in the Diner is a plus as is being on the front of the train close to the Diner.

If you can only do it once I'd go with Seattle but Portland is a great place too!

Last edited by a moderator:
I have not been in Seattle since King Street Station was renovated, but I believe it still does not have a lounge. That should be a small consideration, but a consideration nonetheless.

As Jim said, the box dinner on the Portland section is fine. (Note that it is train 28 eastbound.) I would lean toward departing from Seattle, but there is no wrong choice. Flip your coin!

The scenery is great on both #8 and #28, about a tie. #8 has a DC but no SSL, and Seattle has no Met Lounge. #28 has the SSL and a box dinner, and the sleeper is the rear car on the train and Portland does have the Met Lounge. So get down to your personal preferences. SSL vs none; DC Dinner vs Box Dinner, Met Lounge or none, being in the rear car of the train walking through coaches, but having that rear view. This summer, I am leaving from Seattle for Chicago, since I will already be in Seattle for two days.

I've ridden both and prefer leaving from Seattle. I don't use the SSL much anyway and simply like the "route" for scenery that the Seattle section travels plus I like "dinner in the diner" in the neighboring car without walking through every coach car and the SSL each meal time from the rear end sleeper.

I've also done both many times and vote for the Seattle departure. Besides the Cascades, the first views of Puget Sound are beautiful. I do the CHI-PDX-SEA-CHI trip at least once a year.

I have to vote for Portland. The trip up the Columbia River is spectacular,

It's a win win. Flip a coin and go the other way next time. Make sure it's in June/July so you have daylight.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back