Empire Builder with travel insurance result

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Last month, I took Empire Builder from Seattle to Milwaukee, one way, flying return. I chose Milwaukee as the destination so I could grab a rental car at Milwaukee airport, travel to visit family, and return car at airport to fly home. The only iffy part is that the train stops at intermodal in Milwaukee, not the airport, so I would need to go one stop on Hiawatha train. Transfer time would be tight at best, but a short Uber trip was more likely.

Seeing as i would be crossing mountains in winter and had non refundable car rental and fight, I sprung for the $32ish dollars for travel insurance offered through Amtrak site. I travel extensively and have never purchased insurance before.

The trip started 6 hours late, not a good sign. I had a roomette, solo, and the entire trip was very pleasant. Food, accommodations, attendants were all outstanding. I really have nothing to add to the many trip reports on this route. It was my first time and I loved it.

So we arrived at Milwaukee Intermodal 6 hours late, just after 8 pm. My problem was that the car rental office at Milwaukee airport closed at 8 pm. So I paid $180 for a hotel and picked up car next morning. Car was prepaid, so they held it for me. Good thing as there were no others cars available at the airport.

When the trip was over, I submitted a claim for the hotel room, which was simple. I uploaded hotel receipt, Amtrak itinerary, and car rental receipt. The Allianz insurance web site had a list of documents that MAY be required or helpful, and that an agent maybe in contact for more info. One item listed, which I did not have, was proof of delay. I dropped a line to Amtrak asking for that. The next day I received a notice that an agent had been assigned to my case. The day after that I received a notice that my claim was approved and would be paid IAW my choice when I filed the claim. Next day, full amount was deposited in my account! So so easy. So that’s it. BTW, I never did hear back from Amtrak about proof of delay, but either it didn’t matter or the insurance co has other way to verify.

Good to hear.
I use Allianz for cruises (which often involve Amtrak) and other Amtrak trips as well.
I have never filed a claim* but its good to hear you got good service with them.
*In spring 2020 when Covid was just heating up, I had an August Mississippi River cruise cancelled by the cruiseline due to Covid.
Allianz refunded the entire premium for my policy as I had not yet departed on the cruise and hadn't filed any claims. Normally, one would "move" the coverage to a new cruise but I had not yet booked another cruise.

This is a positive report. I wonder if Allianz treat Amtrak trips differently than some other travel products they insure. I did not have a good experience with them earlier in the pandemic when they pulled the old "force majeure" clause out of the fine print and refunded my premium rather than the deposit on our condo rental in Florida when travel to the US was not allowed. They're also the choice on offer for several airlines.

I purchased Allianz travel insurance for a recent 10 day round-trip cross-country Amtrak trip. It cost me under $20. I'm in the process of submitting a claim to cover transportation and accommodations on a train route mid trip that was canceled due to landslides. I'm hoping for the best, but one thing I learned is even if things are going well save every receipt, itinerary, contract for anything related to your trip so that if you have to submit a claim when things go wrong you have the documentation readily available.

Let us know how that works out, I've been curious how easily Allianz pays up.
Note, I did not call Allianz for assistance with alternative travel arrangements prior to making my own. It's important to read the contract ahead of time to fully understand covered expenditures. That being said, I was willing to absorb overage to get the exact arrangements I wanted. For example I paid $1100 for an Uber, flight, car rental, gas, hotel one night, and bus. I was paid $450. I submitted the printed claim form and documentation by snail mail. The claim was processed in a timely fashion.

Let us know how that works out, I've been curious how easily Allianz pays up.
I had a trip a couple of years ago ticketed on the LSL and Texas Eaglette which I had to cancel due to medical issues. Amtrak refunded most of the fare (2/3rds I think) and I put in a claim with Allianz along with a note from my doctor and they promptly paid the remainder of the fare.

Back