Empire Builder

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tim49424

Engineer
Looks like the EB is back on track. I hope it continues it's trend of the last couple days as I'm headed from Tomah, WI to CHI on Thursday and continuing on with the Pere Marquette to Holland, MI. I'm skeptical, however, as a winter storm is brewing out west, according to the National Weather Service.

I don't know where you got your NWS forecast, but I just checked the next 5-7 days in Whitefish, Montana, and it looks fine. As a matter of fact they're expecting highs in the 40s through Saturday of this coming week...

East of the mountains, they're calling for a little snow, some wind, and a bit cooler temps than that, but no storms...

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't know where you got your NWS forecast, but I just checked the next 5-7 days in Whitefish, Montana, and it looks fine. As a matter of fact they're expecting highs in the 40s through Saturday of this coming week...

East of the mountains, they're calling for a little snow, some wind, and a bit cooler temps than that, but no storms...
The NWS here in WI is talking about a storm brewing in California and coming from the SW. It shouldn't affect Montana, but will swing up this ways. There is no indication of whether it's snow or freezing rain but should hit the southern third of WI (i.e. Lacrosse, Tomah and eastward on the EB) Tuesday and Wednesday.

The NWS here in WI is talking about a storm brewing in California and coming from the SW. It shouldn't affect Montana, but will swing up this ways. There is no indication of whether it's snow or freezing rain but should hit the southern third of WI (i.e. Lacrosse, Tomah and eastward on the EB) Tuesday and Wednesday.
I live in the Quad Cities which would put us in a direct path of that kind of storm. There's no prediction of that anywhere that I see (other than a little rain which I suppose could be snow to the north of here).

It's a moot point anyhow; a snowstorm in Wisconsin won't affect Amtrak unless it's something like 20 inches or more. Midwest snowstorms are small potatoes compared to those that Montana and ND get...

Last edited by a moderator:

I live in the Quad Cities which would put us in a direct path of that kind of storm. There's no prediction of that anywhere that I see (other than a little rain which I suppose could be snow to the north of here).

It's a moot point anyhow; a snowstorm in Wisconsin won't affect Amtrak unless it's something like 20 inches or more. Midwest snowstorms are small potatoes compared to those that Montana and ND get...
I hope you're right. I've seen much less, however, affect the EB.......also, this has been a much more harsh winter snow-wise in the Midwest....we're headed towards a record amount of snowfall for this area this winter. I'm just glad the EB is back on track just in time for my trip. Last one, a couple days before Christmas was a bustitution....and the one before that was 1 1/2 hours late and I barely made my connection to Michigan.

Back