Empire Service vs. Ethan Allen

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

niemi24s

Engineer
Contemplating a trip during which I need to get from NYP to ALB on a Thursday afternoon, arriving prior to about 5pm.  Both the Empire Service #283 and the Ethan Allen #291 fill the bill.

Is it a coin-toss between the two trains, or is there any significant difference between them?

Last edited by a moderator:
#283 is going to be bit better nicer since it is one of the two Empire Service trains which continue on to Niagara Falls (as opposed to just Albany), and therefore runs with a mixture of long distance Amfleet II and short distance Amfleet I coaches, with the former offering bigger windows, nicer seats, and more legroom. The Ethan Allen is a pretty short route so it only uses the much less comfortable Amfleet Is.

Just make sure if you take #283 that you get a seat in one of the AM-IIs, which can be easily identified by the presence of doors at only one end of the car, and the aforementioned bigger windows.

#283 is going to be bit better nicer since it is one of the two Empire Service trains which continue on to Niagara Falls (as opposed to just Albany), and therefore runs with a mixture of long distance Amfleet II and short distance Amfleet I coaches, with the former offering bigger windows, nicer seats, and more legroom. The Ethan Allen is a pretty short route so it only uses the much less comfortable Amfleet Is.

Just make sure if you take #283 that you get a seat in one of the AM-IIs, which can be easily identified by the presence of doors at only one end of the car, and the aforementioned bigger windows.
I'd like to know where you got that from. Cause it doesn't. 

The only real difference between the two is 291 typically has slightly less travel than 283.  The consists are identical, plus or minus one coach.

I've only ridden each of these once, but I preferred the Ethan Allen. It had a cozier feel to it (a bit like the Keystone between Philly and Harrisburg), with a lovely conductor. She greeted me by name, and was very helpful to everyone. I was in coach on that, but the seats were just fine for that short a run.

I went business class on the Empire Service and had two conductors who spent the whole time with the curtain closed chatting, and were not helpful to anyone. It had that 2x1 seating that so many people like, but I found staring at an empty café counter a bit depressing.

And of course the conductors could be quite different on the train you choose.

I've never seen an AM2 on either 281 or 283 They normally run with a split bc/cafe and AM1 coaches. Same sets do the runs that don't go past Albany, they just don't staff the cafe.
Yeah, the news about AM2 on 283 is just plain "fake news". It is not true in general. Maybe some exceptional cases where it may have happened

I'd like to know where you got that from. Cause it doesn't. 
Huh. When did that change? Because I've ridden #283 multiple times and made sure to grab a seat in an AM-II...

You're very welcome. I forgot to mention that it is a lovely, peaceful ride with very gentle scenery. I was almost asleep by the time we got to Albany! :)

I've never seen an AM2 on either 281 or 283 They normally run with a split bc/cafe and AM1 coaches. Same sets do the runs that don't go past Albany, they just don't staff the cafe.
Yeah, the news about AM2 on 283 is just plain "fake news". It is not true in general. Maybe some exceptional cases where it may have happened
Every time I've taken #283 (four times total) it's had some AM-IIs. Maybe it's changed since my last trip, but I'm just surprised that it's been "exceptional cases" 100% of the time I've ridden. :wacko:

Every time I've taken #283 (four times total) it's had some AM-IIs. Maybe it's changed since my last trip, but I'm just surprised that it's been "exceptional cases" 100% of the time I've ridden. :wacko:
What can I say? Maybe you are an exceptional guy! :lol:

Back