EMY to Glenwood then to CHI changes in room type on both segments

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Irelandvegas65

Train Attendant
Today my TA called to let me know my bedrooms have been changed on the first let of EMY to Glenwood Springs OCt 7 and then ( oct 10) the bedrooms have been changed to Roomettes with a refunded amount to be sent out via my TA. Here are my questions. Does this happen often? Does it indicate a shortening of the consist of the Zephyr? Could this be related to the closing of the Glenwood to Denver route due to the avanches and might resolve itself? How do they choose who gets "bumped down" in room type?

Thanks in advance, I am sure others are impacted but I hope not too many. I am glad to be on the train as this is the end of a Empire Builder to Coast Starlight to Zephyr route with two day stops , so it will be a great trip I think!

They probably removed a sleeper. It didn't used to happen unpredictably in the past, the consists were usually settled for a given period well in advance. Since the restoration of daily service, equipped allocation seems to more of an issue. The Zephyr had an issue earlier this summer with passengers booked into a non existent sleeper.

I am not sure how the passengers are chosen for downgrade, although I think all the passengers already booked in the car still operating are grandfathered in.

Thanks for that reply. I was focused on a first booked mentality but that makes sense. And add in the recent closure of that section due to avalanches, I was trying to puzzle it all together.

Which car were you booked into originally? There has been a large Arrow booking issue with the CZ recently where people were booked into a 530/630 car which hasn’t run in quite some time and is not currently running.
I do see that the bedrooms are all gone on these dates, so moving back is probably not an option. You can check availability daily and see if someone cancels a bedroom, then you can move into it.

Glenwood Canyon rail route is fully re-opened. I-70 highway route is also re-opened with traffic limited to one lane in each direction over a one-mile stretch where the worst of the mud- and rock-slides occured.

It was 6
Which car were you booked into originally? There has been a large Arrow booking issue with the CZ recently where people were booked into a 530/630 car which hasn’t run in quite some time and is not currently running.
I do see that the bedrooms are all gone on these dates, so moving back is probably not an option. You can check availability daily and see if someone cancels a bedroom, then you can move into it.
It was 630. Since it’s only that leg of the overall trip, I’m sure we will be fine. By that part of the journey we will be used to train travel.

It was 6

It was 630. Since it’s only that leg of the overall trip, I’m sure we will be fine. By that part of the journey we will be used to train travel.
I had a feeling it would be that. You have a great attitude that you’ll be used to train travel by then. But I have to admit, bedrooms do make for a MUCH nicer experience.
I just experienced a similar situation on the CS, I got booked into the 40 car (transition sleeper) and my wife and I had opposing roomettes so we can each have a lower bunk and be able to see scenery out of either side of the car. The other day they cancelled the 40 car and we are now out of our roomettes. We are trying to decide what to do, but this isn’t near what we planned for.

Back