EMY to San Francisco bus

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We ended up taking the bus as scheduled. It arrived early so we got on and waited.
Now still at Emeryville with no ETA for the CS since it apparently hit car near San Jose. It was already two hours late. And the station here is under construction and the only bathrooms are porta-potties outside the station.

It figures. I understand that if the bus connections TO a train is late, they might wait a reasonable amount of time for the bus to arrive, but not too long. But then they try to leave at the scheduled time and then can continue to do other bus trips.

The primary advantage of the thruway buses is that if the train is late, the buses accepting passengers FROM the train will wait. I was in Salinas waiting for CS (#14) when it was 3 hours late due to a long delay after a MetroLink train was involved in a fatality near Los Angeles. The single Amtrak agent at Salinas (they only have two working all week where they share three days a week) said that he did get paid generous overtime but he'd rather be going home. And since I was bored I went out and talked to a bus driver, who said he had to wait there as long as needed, but I guess he also got some sort of bonus pay for all that time.

I have what may be a dumb question. I booked 2 roomettes CHI-EMY on the Zephyr in December for me and my kids. However, our actual destination is San Francisco for a day or two of sightseeing. What's the best way to add the Thruway Bus to our tickets? I can't seem to do it online.

I have what may be a dumb question. I booked 2 roomettes CHI-EMY on the Zephyr in December for me and my kids. However, our actual destination is San Francisco for a day or two of sightseeing. What's the best way to add the Thruway Bus to our tickets? I can't seem to do it online.
I think it’s included; takes you to a stop a block from salesforce plaza.

So we won't actually need a ticket that shows San Francisco as our destination to board the bus?
I think your e-ticket needs to be to SF, not EMY. When I traveled 2 years ago, the bus connection was on the ticket as a separate segment directly below the train to EMY.
1633882243560.png

The fare is the same, but it may have increased since you made the reservation. I would call Amtrak and see if they can change the destination without the fare increasing. If they can't, ask to speak to a supervisor. If they still can't, you may just want to use an alternate means to get from EMY to SF.

I only booked us to EMY. It's my error. Just trying to see if I can fix it. otherwise I reckon we'll Uber.

I think your e-ticket needs to be to SF, not EMY. When I traveled 2 years ago, the bus connection was on the ticket as a separate segment directly below the train to EMY.
View attachment 24835

The fare is the same, but it may have increased since you made the reservation. I would call Amtrak and see if they can change the destination without the fare increasing. If they can't, ask to speak to a supervisor. If they still can't, you may just want to use an alternate means to get from EMY to SF.
I agree; mine said the same thing.

I only booked us to EMY. It's my error. Just trying to see if I can fix it. otherwise I reckon we'll Uber.
There were 7 of us in July and we hired a van for us and suitcases (Amtrak Emeryville-San Francisco). Had very positive results taking us to Holiday inn express by Pier 39. Make sure the Uber has enough room for your suitcases. AT the time (Covid) there was only 1 drop off/pick up near Salesforce Plaza. Glad I did my homework as the thru way bus 5005 would not actually take us to the well lit Salesforce plaza, but a road sign in front of the Chase Bank (555 Mission) a block away. It made no sense from there to have 2 or 3 UBERs for the 7 of us and all the suitcases/backpacks. Something someone else said earlier: the Amtrak bus train connection is on them to assure you get on the train.

It will be me and two kids. We’ll have a rollaboard each and a backpack each. I think it will all fit in an Uber. If there’s a question at that time I can always book an Uber XL.

It will be me and two kids. We’ll have a rollaboard each and a backpack each. I think it will all fit in an Uber. If there’s a question at that time I can always book an Uber XL.
You will definitely want an XL, as currently the front seat is off limits. It's worth the extra $5 to $10 to avoid all 3 being squeezed into the back seat with your backpacks on your laps. You never know just how tiny your UberX may be.

You might get by with Uber Comfort class if it's available, but not worth the savings IMO.

I was wondering about that. We're booked for the connecting bus in early May and we weren't able to choose a stop. Tour books mention 3 stops tho. We're being let off at a Chase bank at 555 Mission St.
Those tour books are out of date. Four of the five previous bus stops in 'Frisco were eliminated and SFC (at 555 Mission St.) is all that remains.

Hope it's not raining when you get off the bus as here's what Google Earth shows it to be: Google Maps

Last edited:
That's where I was dropped off on March 25th and I wrote it down for my return on April 12th and of course that's was the only address I lost. Thank you so much for posting the address because Amtrak doesn't list it anywhere. Now I have peace of mind again. Have a great day.

That's where I was dropped off on March 25th and I wrote it down for my return on April 12th and of course that's was the only address I lost. Thank you so much for posting the address because Amtrak doesn't list it anywhere. Now I have peace of mind again. Have a great day.
You're welcome. However, Amtrak does have it listed here: San Francisco, CA - Chase Bank (SFC) | Amtrak

Knowing the station code helps as it took a Google search to find it..

Last edited:
Back