Engine change at Philadelphia instead of DC

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Amtrak57

Train Attendant
I’m currently on 79 and for some reason we did the engine swap to desiel in Philadelphia instead of DC. Anyone know why and how rare is this occurrence?

I’m currently on 79 and for some reason we did the engine swap to desiel in Philadelphia instead of DC. Anyone know why and how rare is this occurrence?
This is probably just a one time equipment move. But in the past when there was a serious shortage of serviceable electric engines this was quite regular for some trains that traveled south of Washington DC.

This is probably just a one time equipment move. But in the past when there was a serious shortage of serviceable electric engines this was quite regular for some trains that traveled south of Washington DC.
True. Twenty years ago I was on a few Silver Service trains that did this.

Loco swaps can get complicated. Was there a swap at Raleigh? Probably not. Did the loco come back on 80 the next day or is there a spare P-42 at CLT? Did 80 / 03 swap at WAS or PHL? there could many other possibilities.

As an interesting coincidence 46 was also the diesel on the train I took back from my North Carolina trip (90). We changed engines at DC this time though.

Back