Engineer v. Conductor

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I had several uncles who worked for the Chicago Northwestern in the 1930's and 40's. One was a brakeman who had lost his arm in the coupling and had walked a mile in that condition to the engine, or so the story goes. Drinking among railroad workers was also legendary. My husband was a Greyhound driver who often stayed in hotels where railroad crews stayed and always said the bus drivers couldn't hold a candle to the railroad men in that department. Lots are heavy cigarette smokers as well. Something in the water I guess.

Last edited by a moderator:
When an engineer is being directed On a shove move he is required to stop in 1/2 the last distance given unless additional instructions are received. In many cases, it could be a lot worse than missing a platform if communication is lost and they keep going.

And by law, the person directing a shove move cannot perform any other duties while protecting a shove move.

TRH iphone
What is the definition of a shove move?
Where the train is backing up and the engineer in the locomotive is in the "back".

In other words, most likely not the situation you're describing. Conductors spot the train at most stops, but I would imagine that a qualified engineer with some experience could get the train stopped somewhere around the platform if necessary.
Yes, that. Sorry, when I read your post I envisioned the Conductor counting down on a shove (backup) move rather than just spotting up the car as they come into the station. Sorry for the confusion!

What do engineers go through for cert and re cert?
Following the classroom & simulator time plus training rides for new engineers (the time period varies by RR) then both new and re-certifying engineers take written exams on operating, train handling, safety, and signal aspect/indications rules plus the Power Brake Law;

They are required to pass a written territorial qualification exam and an examination ride with a Road Foreman of Engines or Designated Supervisor of Locomotive Engineers;

They are required to pass a vision test (corrective lenses are permitted) and a color acuity test;

Their motor vehicle records are reviewed to ensure they have no suspensions, convictions or pleas of nolo contendre for operating a motor vehicle while intoxicated, and/or that they have not refused a legally required breath alcohol test while operating a motor vehicle. The MVR checks cover the most recent five-year period, if I recall correctly.

The certification process for Remote Control Locomotive Operators (RCOs) is extremely similar. The upcoming Federal requirement for Conductor certification will also be similar in most aspects.

Great thread. Sorry for bumping up an old thread but I got here by searching google for different between conductor and engineer while playing this quiz. If you are newbie like me to railroad operations and terminology, this quiz might be of interest
https://www.zoo.com/quiz/do-you-know-enough-to-be-a-train-operator
If you are an expert, I challenge you to show a 100% quiz score. (There is a trick there, let's see how many catch it and fume). I got only 57% but it should have been 60%.

For sure, there's some definitely wrong answers in there. Also some engineers commented (in a diff group on fb) that the questions seem closed to English/British railroad terminology.

Back